Editor used for PHP - Page 24
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Editor used for PHP

@Traq - yeah that is what I'm referring to. It's not a huge deal at all but I switch between notepad++ and gedit so it just kind of throws me off a little.

Is this just a setting or possibly an issue w/ my instal? my notepad++ runs on vm w/ w7. I've google searched it but didn't find much..
    Bob Lob Law

phpdesigner - though really all I use it for is code colour and brace matching
    (do all my debugging via local apache )
    whenever I try something else I find a reason to go back to what I know

Quote Originally Posted by cretaceous View Post
    whenever I try something else I find a reason to go back to what I know
    +1
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

One the posts mention Geany, I used it for about an hour this morning and I have to say its cool. I love the terminal feature coz it's a pain switching back and fore to the terminal. A nice editor
    Try not to become a man of success but a man of value

@jeepin I think you might have something wrong with your install, or some version with an odd bug -- I don't have that problem with notepad++ at all (I run 5.8.6 on XP). In fact, notepad++ and gedit behave exactly the same for me, in that regard...?

@NogDog, Drekorian
    Trying komodo edit. Pretty awesome, so far! thanks

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    My Notepad++ doesn't exhibit this problem either. However, there are plenty of variables ... EOL conversion, Language choice, Wordwrap, etc ... that might produce some effect like he describes? Perhaps...

I've d'loaded Komodo Edit but haven't found time to use it for anything useful at all. Way too stuck in Notepad++ (when on Win) these days....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Since making my post I have been using Geany, I love it. The terminal integrated is great for linux based systems. Means I dont have to leave the software, I can just sit here create virtual hosts, configure the server etc etc etc all on the command line.
    Try not to become a man of success but a man of value

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    I've d'loaded Komodo Edit but haven't found time to use it for anything useful at all.
    I'm not at a point where I can switch and really "give it a try" (mid-project), but I'm going to. Pointed it at my PHP and it showed syntax errors, function definitions, and more inline. Neat

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    I'm not at a point where I can switch and really "give it a try" (mid-project), but I'm going to. Pointed it at my PHP and it showed syntax errors, function definitions, and more inline. Neat
    If you use PHPDocumentor-style comments for your functions and methods, it will display useful info from them, too (e.g. @param entries will give you the type and any description for each parameter). I'm not saying other editors don't do that, as much as I'm saying it gives me more reason to use that commenting style.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

@NogDog
    I do; but more for my own benefit (I don't generate documentation from it). I don't always exactly follow the phpdoc rules.

I thought you meant it did some kind of function signature / type sniffing and made auto-complete suggestions...
    ah well. Yeah, this is cool too.

[edit]

oh, crap; I completely misunderstood what you meant twice. Yeah, that is cool!
    Last edited by traq; 04-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Incidentally, phpdoc comments are compiled into the bytecode, and are available through Reflection. Only as a plain string, but I can see potential for implementing Java/C#-like attributes.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 04-21-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

wow - had no idea. that could, potentially, be very useful.

+1 for Komodo Edit!
    Prison of Mirrors
    Declare variables, not war.

I use phpDesigner 7
    .Facilitate the collection, storage, security and integrity of electronic data while ensuring appropriate access.

I use Notepad++. It is a good editor capable of highlighting syntax, it is a built-in editor with Windows7, and more importantly it loads fast. I had Dreamweavor before, but couldnt stand the fact that it took a minute to open a php file...

Of course more advanced softwares like dreamweavor have more functionalities, so those who live with these functionalities will have different preferences.

Thread Information