General bulletin board guidelines - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you think this guideline is useful?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you are the man!!! Go to the head of the class!

152 49.19%
  • Yeah, but it's a bit long. I doubt anyone'll read it.

106 34.30%
  • No, what were you thinking?

27 8.74%
  • What's "Netickut" again? I'm confused

24 7.77%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General bulletin board guidelines

One thing that irritates me most is when people add their code and dont use php or code tags. It would be so much nicer to solve someones problem when their code is in a readable format. I mean, someone slaps 2 pages of php and html-script without using [PHP]- or [CODE]-tags. Now thats not very pleasant to read, is it?

Especially in this forum it should be included in the general guidelines...

PHP? Is that an animal?

I totally agree with you cahva! it's much easier to help people when you can see their code better!

I have created a section of the guideline for ideas specific to this board. I have included your suggestion for PHP tags. If you have any other suggestions, let me know, and I'll consider putting them into the guidelines.

Thanks!
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Originally posted by BuzzLY

The only "stolen" part is the bullet points, which of course I give credit to the RFC.
    &&

I have pulled this list directly from the official <link>Netiquette Guidelines, RFC 1855.</> I have only included those that apply to this board. For the full list, see the RFC.
    Doh! Excuse, please sir. I'm beginning to realize just how much Google has affected my reading comprehension habits. Certainly the bullet information was familiar; I *sincerely* apologize for any irritation caused by my earlier post.

As for the National Anthem, I do have a cool arrangement for 5-part 'a capella' vocals, but they'd roast me if I asked them to do it with Cheezits. C/Db, ends on the 6/9 chord....
    Last edited by dalecosp; 12-02-2002 at 10:30 AM.

Originally posted by dalecosp

... I *sincerely* apologize for any irritation caused by my earlier post.
    Not at all... no irritation here

As for the National Anthem, I do have a cool arrangement for 5-part 'a capella' vocals, but they'd roast me if I asked them to do it with Cheezits. C/Db, ends on the 6/9 chord....
    Um... ok. I believe you. LOL

Besides, I asked for whistling, not a capella voices.
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar

Thumbs up

Well BuzzLY old pal it looks like your Netiquette has been working as this post has been read NUMEROUS times and the number of "help me please" posts has gone down considerably.

Great Job!

One quick question about the "flame wars" though- do we have to be nice ALL the time?

-Elizabeth

woo hoo! That's good. "If I can just reach one Newbie, my job has not been in vain." <GAG>

Hey... I say there's nothing wrong with a flame war now and then to get it out of your system. What's the fun in being nice all the time?
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Unchain the new reactions clintonium's Avatar
    Way to go Buzz! A nice contribution.

I think everyone should have a buddy like Clyde. A buddy who will step up to the plate and heimlich the bajeebies out of 'em when that rogue bit of junk food threatens an early demise. A buddy that will throw them over a chair and pound on them until the offending morsel, now moist with phlegm, rockets from their esophagus like a junk food bullet. But, alas, buddies like Clyde can be hard to find.

Maybe we could start something on the boards called the "Clyde Award" for those who really go the extra mile to help a fellow PHP'er in need...
    Clint Williams
    http://www.clintonium.com/

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while...

LMAO! The "Clyde Award." I like it! Now if we could just get someone to draw the award...

How about the "Phil Award" for those that are pointed to the guideline and learn their lesson well?
    Last edited by BuzzLY; 12-04-2002 at 12:09 AM.
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Originally posted by Elizabeth

One quick question about the "flame wars" though- do we have to be nice ALL the time?
    Oh, I hope not - I just had my LART revarnished and I'd hate to see all that work go to waste...

But the Guidelines should be Required Reading for all new members. I could perhaps add a couple of pointers:
    • There is an edit button on each post. You can use it to edit or even delete your posts. If you accidentally double-post (or even novemuple-post), don't compound the error by saying "Oops; double post": Delete the excess. Ditto for those problems you solve yourself before anyone else has replied. It's useless to say "nevermind, i fixed it myself" when one has to mind enough to read the post before they read the nevermind. "I just wasted your time for you; hope that's all right." Now if you said how you fixed it, then that's different: people who have the same problem as you would welcome seeing a solution if their searches turn up your post.
    • Personally, I hate people who just say "bump" solely to get their post back to the top of the list. It's just that I loosely translate it as "I haven't thought about this problem since last time." Okay, maybe sometimes someone who could have answered did miss it, but did you do anything about it in the meantime? And as for those who bump every hour or two...

RFC1855 is a good reference - as befitting the closest thing the Internet has to laws. One that is better suited for mailing lists and forums, though, would be Eric Raymond's How to Ask Questions the Smart Way. Actually, I just noticed that both the Guidelines and ESR use the dtcc.edu URL; I (again, personally) tend towards the plain text official version at the IETF (URL above). Not that there's any difference of content, just formatting.

But great to see this thing; I would have written one myself, but I decided I'd probably just start swinging my LART about in a threatening manner...

Updated the link to ESR's guide.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 08-03-2004 at 07:01 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Thanks Weedpacket. I have added your points to the guideline.

So, do you think your LART is as big as mine? Mine is a little weathered -- it's got many notches. Plus, it doubles as a ballpeen hammer!
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

....doubles as a ballpeen hammer!
    and from somewhere out there:

"knobkerries, semiautomatic weapons, flamethrowers, and tactical nukes...."

So, BuzzLY, I assume yours is not in the last category....

dalecosp

PS. Over on "questions@freebsd.org" this is known as a "clue-by-four", but I'm not telling you gents anything you're not already well aware of, methinks....
    Last edited by dalecosp; 12-06-2002 at 10:43 AM.

Heh... I prefer having a small LART. Sometimes it's thinly disguised, and only after reading my post a couple of times does the recipient realize they have a bump on their noggin I enjoy the art of subtlety...

oh, and by the way... (whispers and points in Elizabeth's direction) that's not a gent.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Heh... I prefer having a small LART. Sometimes it's thinly disguised, and only after reading my post a couple of times does the recipient realize they have a bump on their noggin I enjoy the art of subtlety...

oh, and by the way... (whispers and points in Elizabeth's direction) that's not a gent.

Yes, I know, but she'll have to weigh in on the LART subject....

dalecosp

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar

Aw, thanks for noticing Buzz! (and dalecosp too )

Ah yes, the LART. I actually have 2-

1 is a kinder, gentler LART with pink polka dots and a stylish fur accent. This is used primarily 3 weeks out of the month, and is good for those "gentle reminders."

There is one week, however, when the big LART comes out- it's a nasty sucker with spikes and barbed wire... needless to say, you don't want to mess with me during that "particular week" if you know what I mean

Also, during that week I may choose to substitute a verbal equivalent to my mean LART with comments like, "if you really loved me, you wouldn't be such a luser"... and "what about my needs?" I find this to be equally as effective and a lot less taxing.

-Elizabeth

Thread Information