General bulletin board guidelines - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do you think this guideline is useful?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you are the man!!! Go to the head of the class!

152 49.19%
  • Yeah, but it's a bit long. I doubt anyone'll read it.

106 34.30%
  • No, what were you thinking?

27 8.74%
  • What's "Netickut" again? I'm confused

24 7.77%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General bulletin board guidelines

Y'know... when I saw "Witty Title goes here" for the first time, I thought it said something different. I guess I can be a little dyslexic at times...
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Originally posted by Elizabeth
    1 is a kinder, gentler LART
    PHP Code:
    $var="1 is a kinder, gentler LART";
    $check=strstr($var"gent");

if (
    $check) {
        echo 
    "Great amounts of evidence notwithstanding, ";
        echo 
    "there is sufficient verbage here to confuse me ";
        echo 
    "on the \"gent\" thing.....";

dalecosp

BTW, and for the record, I remember this:

PHP Code:
    $Elizabeth=="definite woman"
    So, Elizabeth, if (when?) you use it on me, please make it the 'polka-dotty' one.....

dalecosp

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar
    Originally posted by BuzzLY
    Y'know... when I saw "Witty Title goes here" for the first time, I thought it said something different. I guess I can be a little dyslexic at times...
    Yes, PLEASE NOTE: "Witty Title Goes Here" has nothing to do with the female anatomy.

-Elizabeth

Originally posted by dalecosp
    So, Elizabeth, if (when?) you use it on me, please make it the 'polka-dotty' one.....

dalecosp [/I]
    Oh, now dalecosp you know I don't make promises I can't keep.

-Elizabeth

Originally posted by Elizabeth
    Oh, now dalecosp you know I don't make promises I can't keep.

-Elizabeth
    LOL! But I was referring to any flak from that immediate post. If, at some future time, I need a reprimand, I'm sure you'll use which ever one date() demands... For the record, I'd prefer it not to be the 'barbed wire' one...I'm not so k**ky as that, despite any rumors to the contrary.

And, BTW, anyone got an idea how to get this back O(n)T?

dalecosp

Sure.

Thanks, Elizabeth and dalecosp for demonstrating improper netiquette to our resident newbies. Well done.

How's that? LOL

Sure.

Thanks, Elizabeth and dalecosp for demonstrating improper netiquette to our resident newbies. Well done.

How's that? LOL
    LOL! I'm so glad I can help the group with my inappropriate and unprofessional comments.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

-Elizabeth

Originally posted by BuzzLy When I first saw "Witty Title"
    Um, BuzzLY, what's a "Witle"...?

On a more topical note, how 'bout something that addresses "start the script before you ask a question", or am I just the only one who doesn't like "can you write this script for me"?

dalecosp

No, dalecosp, you're not the only one.

I've also noticed quite a few "cookies" and "sessions" questions on here lately - Maybe we should start a new thread, entitled: "FOR COOKIE OR SESSION HELP, CLICK HERE!" and then post links to the appropriate sections of the manual.

-Elizabeth

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Thanks Weedpacket. I have added your points to the guideline.

So, do you think your LART is as big as mine? Mine is a little weathered -- it's got many notches. Plus, it doubles as a ballpeen hammer!
    Ah, I did that for a while, until it had so many notches it disintegrated when I tried to use it. I prefer the more austere style of LART - varnished for a smooth finish (I prefer wood because of the sound, and - like a steel rod wrapped in rubber - can bruise without breaking bones). If I can get the response down to a single bit ("Yes.") I'm pleased. Actually it has a close mate, which is very similar but elaborately carved.

Which is not to say I won't occasionally use the 15 Ton Weight or the Fate Worse Than A Fate Worse Than Death...

Originally posted by ElizabethI've also noticed quite a few "cookies" and "sessions" questions on here lately - Maybe we should start a new thread, entitled: "FOR COOKIE OR SESSION HELP, CLICK HERE!" and then post links to the appropriate sections of the manual.
    I could probably think of other topics that should be listed "Why are all my form variables empty?". "How do I do a table with n columns?" spring to mind.

Edit: See how useful it is?
    Ooh! And the perennial Prev/Next buttons!
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 12-07-2002 at 05:35 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

You guys are talking, of course, about a FAQ... I definitely think we should put one together. We can come up with the questions that are asked most frequently on this board, then ask some people to pick a question or two to answer as best they can. I'd be happy to take care of compiling everything into a FAQ for posting on the board, or perhaps on PHPBuilder itself as part of the board FAQ. I'll post another thread to get opinions on this.

::EDIT::
    The FAQ thread can be found here
    Last edited by BuzzLY; 12-17-2002 at 11:01 AM.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Not that it needs it, but I thought I might bump the thread. At least it changes the icon...

To justify the post, I might make another suggestion about what could be done by people before posting. It's actually more of a general debugging technique, but it does affect posting. (It would probably go in at number 4 in the PHP-specific list.)

Try to minimise the amount of code that has to be waded through. Don't just post the entire script (especially those 250+ lines of HTML or worse, print() statements); instead, try and remove parts with the aim of reducing the script to the smallest piece of code that still exhibits the problem. As you cut things down, the error might go away - this will give a hint as to what is actually wrong, and may in fact point you to a solution (so that you don't need to post after all!). If the error changes, back up - you don't want to introduce more errors, just focus attention on the ones you already have. If you've boiled the script down to the essentials (it's best if it's something that can be run on another computer, but unfortunately database issues tend to make this impractical), it's usually easier to identify what the problem is because there are fewer irrelevant details to distract. Besides, doing it can be a learning experience.

As I wrote that, I thought of something else: READ the error messages! I know that some of them are somewhat obscure, esoteric and sometimes downright surreal (and I wish the manual listed and described them), but they do convey meaning. If it says that a file or directory could not be found, then chances are that a file or directory could not be found. Believe me, some people have posted asking what was wrong, and saying that the error message they got said "Warning: fopen('nonexistent.txt','r'): No such file or directory". Ask that and the answer you'll probably get (at least from me) is that "it looks like there is no such file or directory as nonexistent.txt." Depending on how much problem-solving ability the poster shows, I might add "Does it exist? Are you sure it is where it should be? Are you sure you're looking in the right place?"

BuzzLY? You think it's worth including these? If so, I'm sure you could phrase it more diplomatically than I...
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 08-03-2004 at 07:04 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Originally posted by Weedpacket
    To justify the post, I might make another suggestion about what could be done by people before posting. It's actually more of a general debugging technique, but it does affect posting. (It would probably go in at number 4 in the PHP-specific list.)...
    Done. Thanks again, Weedpacket!

FYI

As of this posting, over 81% of voters believe that this guideline will help in some way, although a few of those think the guidelines are too long. Thanks to all of you participating, and special thanks (and Cheezits) to those of you who have read the whole thing.

Thread Information