General bulletin board guidelines - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you think this guideline is useful?

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you are the man!!! Go to the head of the class!

152 49.03%
  • Yeah, but it's a bit long. I doubt anyone'll read it.

107 34.52%
  • No, what were you thinking?

27 8.71%
  • What's "Netickut" again? I'm confused

24 7.74%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: General bulletin board guidelines

Thumbs up

read understood most of it too bad I don't know me national anthem any more

and too bad i posted 5 posts already disregarding rules

well... care to tell us more stories about poker and foodstuff? ( I love that storytelling )

Hey all,

This was posted on an irc channel. Quite similar to buzzy's (very helpful) post.

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.

Originally posted by largo
    Hey all,

This was posted on an irc channel. Quite similar to buzzy's (very helpful) post...
    Too slow, largo

Me? Needless point-scoring? Never
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

DOH!

Don't get me wrong - I love helping people.

But I would like to put down some thoughts lately on how this forum can be better.

When you have a problem in mind, can you please state a subject that directly relates to the problem at hand?
    It does none of us no good to see titles such as:

"HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "I NEED HELP."
    "HELP ME PLEASSE!"

Also, so many times there are questions posted in this forum that don't have anything to do with PHP. Alot of these fall into the camp of HTML, CSS questions. If the problem doesn't involve any PHP code, then many won't bother to even answer it.
    I know I won't.

Another huge problem I see on here is that people think we can read their minds. When you have a problem, make a attempt to give us enough information so we can assist you. Don't just say you have a problem. Show us some code where the problem may exist. You may know there is an error, but we aren't there looking at your screen to assist you.
    Kerry Kobashi
    Kobashi Computing
    Believe and you will achieve

Actually, in response to Kerry Kobashi, i feel that if someone does post a question that has some HTML, or SQL in it, its not really a problem, because, lets face it, PHP is mainly used in web development, (i am assured it can be used as a full programming language for non-web development), and as such, people using it wiht any HTML, or SQL is going to be extremely common, therefore, and sometimes a junior person may think they have a problem with their PHP, but its actually their HTML, or SQL.

I know i helped out someone once on this forum, who had no problem with her SQL or PHP, just simply didn't realise that you could nest HTML tables within themselves. Consequently, she was able to solve her problem. I think i would feel like a bit of a ****, if i had said "oh, sorry, that's an html problem, go to a different forum". One has to face facts that PHP and HTML are like Burgers and Fries, they just go well together!

cricketdt,

"Also, so many times there are questions posted in this forum that don't have anything to do with PHP. Alot of these fall into the camp of HTML, CSS questions. If the problem doesn't involve any PHP code, then many won't bother to even answer it.
    I know I won't. "

Where did I say "some". I said "don't have anything"... "doesnt' involve any". Of course there will be questions that have intermingled Html, Css, and php. I'm not talking about those cases. I'm referring to the cases where the individual automatically thinks that this place is to solve all his/her web development questions.

Questions such as how to create a table, how to create a form, how to setup mySQL, how to setup Apache or IIS, Linux/Windows concerns, have nothing to do with PHP. In most cases, Read The F*cking Manual is the norm.

There's an old saying:

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime".
    Last edited by Kerry Kobashi; 01-20-2003 at 05:11 AM.
    Kerry Kobashi
    Kobashi Computing

Kerry, sorry i just skimmed your post, and i thought you meant, HTML problems in PHP code.

If people do post pure HTML, CSS problems, then one has to take pity, as its not exactly that tricky, and there are a lot of resources out there that document HTML CSS, giving no excuse for having a problem with pure html.

However, some people do sometimes get confused when dealing with HTML, embedded in PHP scripts. I remember a post a few months ago, when some bloke posted a link to a "really useful website that helped embed html within php scripts". He obviously had trouble working out that its not too hard to wrap html with ?><HTML><? tags as such.

That's what i thought you were refering to, in your prvious post, my apologies.

"I remember a post a few months ago, when some bloke posted a link to a "really useful website that helped embed html within php scripts"

Thats hilarious. It's kind of like the tail wagging the dog

No problem ... long as we understand we on the same wavelength.
    Kerry Kobashi
    Kobashi Computing

No worries!

The only reason i made my point, was because i have in the past come across posts from people whose atitude has been "thats not php, therefore not our problem" and not just in php.

I now understand that your not that sort of person, and i respect that, but there are some ignorant people in the world, unfortunately some of them get good jobs, take Bush and Blair for instance, and their war on terrorism etc.

Originally posted by crickettdt
    , but there are some ignorant people in the world, unfortunately some of them get good jobs, take Bush and Blair for instance, and their war on terrorism etc.
    I wouldn't say Bush and Blair have good jobs.... infact I would go as far to say they have the worst jobs. Imaging carrying the weight of the whole country on your shoulders. Not something i would enjoy. Although you do get people who just love power and would do anything to prove how much power they have !!!

anyway a thread in the echo lounge has more views on this.
    --- PHP Contests every month (now live !!)
    --- http://www.php-editors.com
    --- Tools, Reviews, Books, Snippets, Forums....

there's one more thing I'd like to do the people who bump their threads (personally I find multiple posting even more annoying, but these "bump" things sometimes really seem demanding as if people were paid for helping others).

this is: if your thread isn't answered, ask yourself why.

some common reasons might be:

nobody understands what you want, may this be because you are really confused yourself, or because your English is not that good or because you didn't provide enough information. rather than bumping, you should rephrase your problem, making sure you include information like relevant code snipplets, error message text etc.

the same question has been answered just ways to often. if you think that possibly someone else may have had the same problem, use the search.

the question is off topic. in a php forum, not everyone is an expert with javascript or apache most likely, so it may make more sense to google for a more appropriate forum to ask your question there.

you asked for too much or posted too much. if you want someone to do the coding for you, I think there are not a lot of people willing to do that unless you hire someone. not a lot of people are willing to work through heaps of code either, especially if you didn't bother using the &#091;php] &#091;/php] formatting.
    Last edited by xblue; 02-14-2003 at 09:25 AM.
    No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue...

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Some good points there. Did you take the poll?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

yes I've seen that - I think I opted for that pink polka-dotted LART option (not sure if I read all posts though)
    No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue...

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Hmm, I must have been having a bad day...I KNOW I voted $handgrenade....haven't tested the code yet, though
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Thread Information