when was the last time you went : DOH!!! - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: when was the last time you went : DOH!!!

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar
    Originally posted by Sxooter
    My Toyota Camry has a pretty intuitive (but strange at first) locking algo in it's key / lock circuitry.

If you lock the doors with the key in the ignitiion, it unlocks them IF the driver's door is open. Otherwise they stay locked.

If you open the drivers door, and, with no keys in the lock, lock the door, THEN put the keys in the ignition, it unlocks the doors WHEN the driver's door shuts.

It's kinda funny to try and convince the system to lock your keys in the car (with a spare set at hand just in case you succeed.)

Basically, you can't do it from the driver's door. And it's not related to whether or not the engine is running.
    Sxooter, it's obvious you've spent quite a bit of time on this one... maybe it's time for a new hobby

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Originally posted by Elizabeth
    Sxooter, it's obvious you've spent quite a bit of time on this one... maybe it's time for a new hobby
    He probably was the programmer; his hobby is correcting glaring logic errors in the db forum, and keeping us EL'ers on the toes, perhaps...

/!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Until I had it explained to me that it was for preventing carjackings, I couldn't understand why the car's doors would lock when the car was moving. I had this mental image of a suicide epidemic sweeping Japan where people had an uncontrollable urge to jump out of moving cars.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

This isn't really a Doh! moment, more of a:
    aww sh!t!! F*C|<!!

I got reports from many visitors to a site that they couldn't access it. After seeing there was nothing wrong, I decided to go page by page to see if there were any issues with small parts of the site, and not the site in general.

Much to my surprise, I visited the photos section (which I coded by hand) and got a page that had:
    "H4X0R3D" on it. Nothing else. Aww SH!T!! That wasn't the end. I then lost connection to my servers, cuz my ISP sucks. F*C|<!!.

But I soon learned that the pre-pubescent teenager just added about 7 rows to a database that added javascript to the page that made it display what he wanted. I'm glad that he got his rocks off while adding rows to a database. It would have been 100 times worse had he actually destroyed my database and information in there.

Ah well, I fixed the problem (thank you RegEx) and am moving on. I'm sure I'll have more.

~Brett

Doh! strikes again ... (twice....)

You may have to be 'Nix literate to get this, but ...

So, I've recently started switching everyone's servers to some kind of dual disk setup. For really important people, maybe, RAID (I've not that many RIP), and for others, just a slave disk that we copy the master to every night (and databases every few hours).

So, Wednesday I went down to one location that needed this done, took the box down (less than 10 minutes ... not bad for non-hot-swap hardware, *in a rack*), and put in the spare drive. Boots up and all's well.

On my way out I notice the application (other) server is sitting on the "pedestal" in front of the rack, leaning over at a 20-30 degree angle 'cause the bolts are under one side of the case (it's not rack mount).

I figure, "that's a hazard". _Ever so freakin' carefully_ I gently slide the machine off the front pedestal and around to the back of the rack where there is lots of room on a level surface. I've got my eyes on that NIC like a hawk, making sure that the lights stay on --- no power cable issues, no net disconnect, etc.

About the time it's *almost* in place, someone comes around the corner ... "are we down?"

Doh!

Anyway, dad gummed thing wouldn't reconnect the NIC without a reboot ... and the blasted light was on the whole time! And, of course, customers at the front counter with wallets in hand....

Of course, that's not the real Doh ... moment (knew that was comin' didn't ya?)

So, I go home, shell into the web/PHP/mail/DNS server, and set up my partitions and newfs the drive. It's mounted at /1 /2 /3, mirrors of / /var and /usr.

I create my ultimo backup script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/dump -0 -a -L -f - / | ( cd /1 ; /sbin/restore -ruvf - )
    /sbin/dump -0 -a -L -f - /var | ( cd /2 ; /sbin/restore -ruvf - )
    /sbin/dump -0 -a -L -f - /usr | ( cd /3 ; /sbin/restore -ruvf - )
    and add it to root's crontab:
    Code:
    20              3       *       *       *               /bin/sh /home/me/scripts/clone
    Now, if you're pretty used to 'Nix, you see the problem already (to make it twice as bad, root's mail is aliased to both me and my secretary, here in the office in the sticks....)

If you're not into 'Nix, I guess I'll explain. In the 'restore' command, you'll see a "v" option ("verbose"). Now, cron sends you an email with the output of whatever work it does. And this server had some extra goodies, like the entire FreeBSD CVS tree and a directory from "make release", that restore had to tell me about, since it was called with "v".

So, for the past two days fetchmail's been working it's tail off the live long day, MUA's have been crashing, and I've been cursing the ISP (not to them, fortunately ) while our systems downloaded two emails of > 400K lines each.

I think I'll take that "v" off of there.....
    Last edited by dalecosp; 06-09-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Ouch, that's got to hurt. I had a kinda simmilar DOH! moment in the office not long ago. Well, it's only similar in that it involved the system sending loads of emails. We have a rather bloated source tree where I am (over 7000 files for the main site). My boss decided it would be a nice idea to test out CVS's change notification feature on it. The only problem being that the watch he set up also watched for cvs edits and virtually everyone in the office does a "cvs update" and then a "cvs edit" in the root directory of their checkout every morning to make sure they're up to date. I'm sure you can see where this is heading. The next day the dev box tried to send over 7000 emails to both me and my boss for each developer and designer on the team. That's 4 developers and 5 designers and one hell of a lot of emails. Needless to say, it was a slow morning.
    If at first it doesn't work, slap it with a dirty hack.

Moral of the week: Never let a moral of the week go on for more than a week, it's even sillier than feeding the admins.

My Blog

At the risk of becoming chief rogue in my own gallery, I'll post this DOH! moment:

It's March, and I punched "Previous Month" in a report tool I'd created. It promptly did nothing but spin the browser window and, upon checking the server, ran one CPU up to 100% (thank God it has more than one CPU and doesn't multi-thread the http daemon).

After a good half hour (fortunately no more than that) of searching, I find this:
    PHP Code:
    else $goto="$month 31, $year"
    Those d****d GOTOs!!!!

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Makes you wonder how many other incorrect assumptions might be lurking about.

For example, some people seem to be under the (false) assumption that 1 day == 24 hours == 86,400 seconds!

Hee hee, glad you get it. ;-)

Yes, many incorrect assumptions. Seems that not too long ago I was dealing with another bug in this same code area (and yes, it was all mine) related very closely to the 86400 problem....

Just last month a colleague and I were working on a javsacript problem where a custom calendar we displayed was automatically jumping one month ahead when you opened it. This baffled us for a good hour. Until we realized that all the time and date calculations were based on a date which may or may not exist (e.g. 30th of February). So I went through and fixed the issue and after that hour, we ridiculed the developer that failed miserably in catching this in the first place.

Not really a DOH! moment, but close. I'm currently working on my next DOH! moment with Magento. A block isn't showing up when it should be and I just can't place my finger on why... I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bpat1434 View Post
    Just last month a colleague and I were working on a javsacript problem where a custom calendar we displayed was automatically jumping one month ahead when you opened it. This baffled us for a good hour. Until we realized that all the time and date calculations were based on a date which may or may not exist (e.g. 30th of February). So I went through and fixed the issue and after that hour, we ridiculed the developer that failed miserably in catching this in the first place.

Not really a DOH! moment, but close. I'm currently working on my next DOH! moment with Magento. A block isn't showing up when it should be and I just can't place my finger on why... I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing.
    This is why I do all my date math in PostgreSQL.
    PostgreSQL, because your data matters.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxooter
    Woah, he's back! (Just look at his sig to see how long he's been away.)
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

It has been a while.

In other news I can't find a way to edit my signature.
    Last edited by Sxooter; 03-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Woah, he's back! (Just look at his sig to see how long he's been away.)
    And I was just bemoaning the fact today at work that we're still on PostgreSQL 9.0.7. (I could really have made use of the CONCAT_WS() that was introduced in 9.1.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sxooter View Post
    It has been a while.

In other news I can't find a way to edit my signature.
    Try the Settings link at the top right.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because he’s a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Thanks! Silly me looking in my profile for my signature.

Also at work we're still on 8.4 so don'e feel too bad.
    Last edited by Sxooter; 03-19-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information