when was the last time you went : DOH!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: when was the last time you went : DOH!!!

Just this morning Largo

Had two hours looking at a hunk of vb code without working out why l was getting an error message...

Code started

Code:
    Private Sub Form_load()
       '
       On Error Goto LoadError
       '
       yadda yadda yadda
       '
    LoadError:
       MsgBox err.number & " : " err.message

End Sub
    After two hours some one else had a look and suggested l exit the sub before getting to the LoadError statement and issueing an error message each time it ran...

D'uh

I was 12 years old, and helping my uncle work on the sewage lines at my grandmother's house. We had a deep hole dug, and the clay pipes were wide open. I told him I had to use the bathroom pretty bad, and he said "Ok, just don't flush." Let's just say this was a "job" that required me to sit down. When I was done, I instinctively reached for the handle. As soon as I depressed it, I realized what I did, and yelled out the window to my uncle "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Look out!"

Fortunately, he heard me and was able to jump out of the hole in time.

D'OH!!!!

Ok, so it has nothing to do with PHP, but I just had to share. Aren't you glad I did?

Liz, don't feel bad... I am a Lotus Notes programmer; one of the things we do is replicate databases to keep them all up to date. One day after making a bunch of code changes, I replicated my changes to the production server. But I replicated the wrong database; I ended up sending a year-old database into production! Needless to say the IT Support person got a lot of nasty calls and emails. I told her I would look into it, and immediately replicated the correct database. Fortunately, no data was lost, so I didn't tell anyone what a bonehead I was. I just told them that Lotus Notes is really buggy and that I would look into what happened. For some reason, I was never able to "find out what happened..."

D'OH!!!
    Last edited by BuzzLY; 02-18-2003 at 02:04 PM.
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

jazz, that's very much a doh! Happens to the best of us though.

Also, BuzzLY, I do not believe you. This is what really happened folks (weedpacket syndrome kickin in...)

--
    BuzzLY had planned a trip to the mall with his friends last week, he was looking forward it. April and her friends had promised to show up, and BuzzLY was especially looking forward to that.

As he knelt in the mud, baking in the heat, he could feel nothing but rage... "I'll show you ... mister.don't flush... I'll...

--
    Sorry BuzzLY

back to work!

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar
    BuzzLY!
    We're so glad you're back and so glad you've brought the level of the conversation down as low as it could possibly go LOL

(Talk about a LOAD ERROR statement... or perhaps it was a CORE DUMP)

-Elizabeth

largo, thanks for blowing my cover. And for the record, I was not 12 last week. That was well over... well, let's just say it was a little longer than a week ago

Thanks, Liz... I'm glad I could come back and bring the level of conversation down to where it belongs And I think it was more of a MEMORY FLUSH than anything

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Originally posted by Weedpacket
    Like that fellow Nietzsche said: "That which does not kill us makes us stranger". Hey, dalecosp, maybe I should make that my .sig?
    I thought he said, "stronger," but it is, as they used to say, a "Mad, mad, mad, mad, world..."

Your .sig can be whatever you want, of course....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Hmm, a D'OH.....

Dunno if this is the most recent, but it's one that still burns a bit....

I've been hoarding parts since August to build my wife a new computer, a drive here, a chip there, as finances allow. So, last month I finally got the MOBO and CPU. Now, I've never been in the habit of checking the power supply with a multimeter before hooking the dang thing up....

D'OH, the smell of hot metal and silicone....

Anyway, I'm saving up for another mobo and Athlon XP 2000+. I already bought another $#*$&% power supply, and new leads for the multitester....

And then there was this conversation with a client the other day. It's a uniform company---one of the partners is kinda my "interface" gal, she tells me want they want on the site, I put it there. Well, we're developing a database/cart catalog for the site (the last guy had done static pages and form2mail.pl) and I went in to ask a couple of questions about product lines and SKU numbers. This gal wasn't there, so the other partner comes to see what's going on. I pull up the development site and click on a jacket, start blabbing about functionality, the complexity of a shopping cart with multiple variables (not just quantity, but size, color, etc.) and he just keeps staring at the screen. Finally he gets up enough courage and says, "I don't understand." (lights go off in my mind....) I say, sweetly, "OK, you don't understand what?" (or something equally stupid) and he says, "well, the (name of product I clicked on) is pants, not a jacket....."

The "jacket" photo had been displayed for this product on the real site for over 6 months.... D'OH!
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Lol, thats a bad one, I've been there before .

Have you ever dumped an entire pasta frozen dinner down the front of you during lunch?

Umm... did that one today. Gee I'm smooth.

-Elizabeth

Well, hmm, sorry to hear of your misfortune; as to the other ?, sorta....but I may have one even better.

A long time ago, in a galaxy not too awfully far away (the 80s, I think it was called), someone I know was a music teacher. One day he got a little enthusiastic in some conducting, or demonstrating, or somesuch, and did some type of spread-legged lunge which resulted in a breach of the entire crotch seam of his dress trousers...fortunately, this was at the end of the class period, so he dismissed the students rather quickly.

He taught the last hour of the day in a choir robe.

Since that time I've tried to keep extra clothing around, handy, at most job locations...

I have some very embarrassing "D'OH" moments . I was trying to get the GD module in PHP working, all you have to do is set the module path and delete the ;. well i did that and it still didnt work, after 5 hours of working on this and screaming at my computer i went to bed, i got up in the morning and it was working! then i remembered id never restarted apache then day b4......
    if($homework_due == "Yes")
    {
       print("GAAAAAAAAAH!!!");
    }
    else
    {
       print("pheeewww....");
    }

OK, at the risk of becoming the member who "D'OH's" the most:

I got home this evening and fired up the laptop (as a consultant, when I'm out, I don't get it unless I use the laptop, and I didn't even have time to lift the lid today) and there is an email from a client whose site went active about 30 days ago.

I had set up a web interface so their email (they are a home-based firm) couldn't be harvested. And her message to me?

Hey!!
    Is there any way I can tell where this email came from like the phone #, city, state, etc., because this customer's name isn't on our contact list and it doesn't ring a bell with me. I don't know what company he is with.
    Just wondering............ I guess if he really wants his stuff he'll
    contact us by phone.
    Turns out that the last page before "Send Mail Now!" didn't have $EMail in an <input> tag, and no one noticed in all the emails we tested prior to going live...

D'OH, the N-humanity, or, as Elizabeth said...

Bumping an old thread, haha-
    But had to confess another doh! moment- spilled an entire can of Diet Faygo all over myself and the carpet today. Luckily I was not yet at the computer, or that would have been exceptionally bad.

Or perhaps that would have precipitated the purchase of an upgrade by my dear employers... hmmm...

-Elizabeth

Huh huh... she said "Faygo"

Huh Huh

Parse error line -1 Bunkermaster's Avatar
    ok do'h moment 2 weeks ago :

[scene setup]I arrive in a new customer site to replace a gentle moron who has been marked as unwanted by customer for being unable to benchmark an application for 3 weks (du'h)[bleh]

I arrive as the savior ridding my white horse [navy blue passat actually but you know...]

I take the RSTS scripts, make a few modifications and run. The server responds well and i publish results...

3 days later i get suspicious, i look at script, add a debug echo on the server response size and i notice the server always answers by an error message... I rebuild the scripts (5 days of hard work to find workaround for RSTS bugs) and rerun the test... I crashed the server. 3 times. I had said ok it runs smoothly and it is really a piece of junk (the application not the server)... I walk into the project manager's office and say "remember your project? u were supposed to go live in june? ain't gonna happen..." She looks at me and starts to cry... DO'H!!!

Huh huh... she said "Faygo"

"Our ASP will blot out the sun!"
    "Then we will PHP in the shade"

Thread Information