when was the last time you went : DOH!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: when was the last time you went : DOH!!!

50,000 Watts of Goodwill goldbug's Avatar
    Originally posted by Elizabeth
    Have you ever dumped an entire pasta frozen dinner down the front of you during lunch?

Umm... did that one today. Gee I'm smooth.

-Elizabeth
    No, but I have dropped a whole pizza onto the floor, top-down.
    Many eyes make few mistakes

goldendance

Peon
    OK, my latest D'OH moment. Set the scene. We have a large Australian Motor Vehicle Corporation, with retail sites all around Australia. I'm here developing a site for them that allows clients to come in, view all their vehicles records, from sales, servicing, etc. Really not that hard,. Anyway, we set it up, we go live, everything's good, we win a big servicing contract because of it, and everyone's happy. A week later is the General Manager's meeting. This is a financial planning meeting, so we have ALL of the General Managers from all around Australia, as well as the Joint Managing Directors, CFO, and all of the accountants. So, my dear friend the IT manager decides this is the perfect opportunity to get some extra funding for the IT detpartment. So, it's time for a presentation.

Get to the conference centre at 7:30, set up a demo server with some test data (there was no internet connection, not even a close enough phone line for dial-up (wtf!)), it's all working good. Plug my laptop into the projector, bang, it's all focussed, we're all happy. 2pm, it's time for my presentation. Get up in front of all these managers, start talking, explaining what it does, why it does and how it will help the business. They're all nodding, I've got the CFO sitting there saying "hmmm, the possibilities for this are enormous!". Now for the unveiling:

Me: "Now remember, this is live on the Internet at the moment, we have customers using this!"

Click

Here's D'OH number 1. My laptop fails to come out of standby mode. It just sits there, blank screen. It has NEVER done this before, it's a beautiful peace of machinery, and I keep it nice and clean for this reason. To the chorus of mild laughter and some sarcastic comments from the more cynical of the managers, I restart, and re-prepare for my unvieling.

Click click

Opera opens up, I go to the demo server, bling it all appears. Put in the username and password for the data of one of our bigger customers.

D'OH moment number 2. We have a header, a page body, and a page footer. Good stuff. Not so good. We also have a big red error message that says "Could not connect to database, please contact <blah>".

I concluded my presentation there, amidst quite a lot of amusement, sarcasm and general revelry, went and fixed the server (MySQL had crashed, god knows why), came back and redid my presentation, but D'OH! That was certainly embarrassing!

Has a PhD in Horribleness Elizabeth's Avatar
    <-- buying Matt & Bunker a beer. You guys beat my Faygo incident hands down!

Goldbug - did you eat it afterwards?

-Elizabeth

Peon
    <-- buying Matt & Bunker a beer. You guys beat my Faygo incident hands down!
    mmm, beer. Thanks Elizabeth!! Ever had a Coopers Ale? Australian beer is the best in the world.

Another D'OH incident 2 seconds ago My boss came in and caught me posting on PHPBuilder instead of working

Parse error line -1 Bunkermaster's Avatar
    do'h moment... power outage... my APU saved my ass but i closed Word a bit fast... DAMN

"Our ASP will blot out the sun!"
    "Then we will PHP in the shade"

Originally posted by matt_4013
    Another D'OH incident 2 seconds ago My boss came in and caught me posting on PHPBuilder instead of working
    Dont worry, happens to me all the time..

(Not that my post count is so high... :\ )

Originally posted by matt_4013
    mmm, beer. Thanks Elizabeth!! Ever had a Coopers Ale? Australian beer is the best in the world.

I'm partial to whatever beer is on sale or bought for me LOL.. no seriously, I like Killian's & Bud Light although I've been tempted to have a Foster's from time to time.

And at least he didn't catch you on hotbabes.com -- PHP Builder can at least sound professional, right?

-Elizabeth

Peon
    PHPBuilder is a RESOURCE! I use it for research Actually, it has answered a few of my questions, tho most of the ones I have now people can't seem to help All good.

Ugh, Fosters Beer. May as well be drinking Cat's piss That's one of the exceptions. If you ever get a chance, try Coopers Pale Ale, or Coopers Draught, West End Draught, or Crown Lager. I'm not sure if crownies are Australian, but who cares? *drooooooling*

Next time I'm in the US I'll bring you over some!!

50,000 Watts of Goodwill goldbug's Avatar
    Originally posted by Elizabeth

Goldbug - did you eat it afterwards?

-Elizabeth
    Actually, no. The dog beat me to it.
    Many eyes make few mistakes

goldendance

Unhappy When did I last go DOH!?

About an hour ago when I discovered that my exam, which I thought started at 2 for 2hrs actually started at 1 for 2hrs.

Now I have to wait for the Uni exam board to make a decision on whether I can keep the mark that I get.

Re: When did I last go DOH!?

Originally posted by piersk
    About an hour ago when I discovered that my exam, which I thought started at 2 for 2hrs actually started at 1 for 2hrs.
    OMG Piers, that totally sucks! <handing Piers a beer, too!>

I can relate- one of my senior papers in college was still printing about 15 minutes before my class started... the printer stopped printing, I grabbed it and ran, not even really looking at it. Sitting in class waiting to turn it in, I realized it had only printed about 2/3rds of my paper- the printer had run out of paper and stopped printing. Yes, I got a "D" in the class, as my prof was less than sympathetic. Oh well, I survived.

That "pit" feeling in the stomach is about the worst thing in the world! But someday you will look back and laugh...

-Elizabeth

*takes beer from Elizabeth and chugges it back in one*

Lizzie *duck* where do you get all this beer from?

Originally posted by piersk
    Lizzie *duck* where do you get all this beer from?
    Ahem.. I believe we've had the "Lizzie" discussion before. You were right to duck

... and as for the beer supply, I have my sources, but seeing as how they're confidential, if I told you, I'd have to kill you.

-Elizabeth

On a totally unrelated note...

Zabby, your, uh, shipment has arrived. It took a little longer than expected, 'cuz I lost my baseball bat. Costs have doubled this time around, I'm afraid...
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

Psst Buzz! Ix-nay on the Eer-bay!
    <looking nervously from side to side>

...newbies..

Thread Information