New Projects : Announce here - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you be interesting in 'detecting robots'?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 64.52%
  • Maybe

7 22.58%
  • No

4 12.90%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Projects : Announce here

Designer and Programmer

Hey guys. I am wanting to start a fun project that is E-Learning associated, not a big company or corporate one, just one that can be shared among firends with common itnerests, I myself have over 3 years of PHP/MYSQL and over 4 years of Web Marketing and Internet Business experience, I need another programmer to help me out with the programming and a designer who can do some really kick a$$ designs, if anyone is interetsed, email me and Ill be sure to get back to you. I have a server to host the site on and I alreayd have the databse and the programing done, we just need to make it so we can launch it.
    drag0n at phatasia dot com

code | beer > sleep

Re: online database project

Originally posted by sfullman
    This is NOT an open-source project; I intend to make money off of it.
    When does it say in Open Source you cant make money from something. vBulletin is OpenSource
    Last edited by planetsim; 04-07-2004 at 08:45 PM.
    Dont be lazy Search
    Use the Manual

code | beer > sleep
    if you read my post properly

When does it say in Open Source youcant make money from something. vBulletin is OpenSource
    I said vBulletin is opensource and yes they do make money from it.
    Dont be lazy Search
    Use the Manual

well,, if their OS, doesnt that mean they are GPL or some other freely licensed, or can they copyright it to themselves?

Better fan than rebelo! Moonglobe's Avatar
    you can sell stuff under the GPL, i suggest you go read it some time.
    there's no place i can be, since i found serenity.

I am very bored, but I know PHP, so if you want to partner up on any projects/apps/websites, as long as you know how to design, Ill handle everything else, but you gotta pitch em the idea

code | beer > sleep
    Ive created my own little CMS which doesnt have all the features enabled as yet but want some more Beta Testers which can help improve the next version

email me at admin at webmobo dot com to get hold of the Files required.

Thanks

You can also view it here

http://demo.webmobo.com
    Dont be lazy Search
    Use the Manual

I have an idea for a really unique game that is different from all others out there. I want to start it out as a Free Game with no ads since I already have a server to put it on, but in the future turn it into something really sweet.
    I know php and can handle all of the game programming, what I need is a Graphic Designer who has much expereince with HTML/JAVASCRIPT. If you are itneretsed, look at my profile to email me.

Currently working on a Photomosaic generator:

Onion's Photomosaic Generator

Next stage is to start segmenting images to make more accurate representations of stuff. But its tricky, so I keep playing Unreal Tournament instead.

vBulletin is licensed under an open source license?

Where?
    I always thought it was proprietary.
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

vB isn't open source. OS = you can't sell the actual source code. However, you can sell the services tied with it. i.e. you can have it, but you have to pay me money for me to install it for you

Stop confusing OS with GPL. They're not the same thing. Something can be OS without being GPL. You can sell OS code, you can't sell GPL code (Well, you can, but you have to give away as well, so its pointless).

Originally posted by onion2k
    You can sell OS code, you can't sell GPL code (Well, you can, but you have to give away as well, so its pointless).
    But whats the point in selling OS code when (by law) anyone can change it and give it away for free?

Originally posted by piersk
    But whats the point in selling OS code when (by law) anyone can change it and give it away for free?
    See, this is the problem with confusing OS with GPL.

What you're allowed to do with the code depends on the license its released under. Things under (for example) a BSD style license can be incorporate into closed source projects and sold on. Under a 'Public Domain' license anyone can do what they like with the code, including selling it, without having to give away the code themselves (unlike the GPL). And so on for all the various OS licenses.

Also, it should be noted, the GPL has never been successfully used to defend against a license violation court as far as I know (I'd be very interested if someone knows otherwise..)

So why sell OS code? Because you can make money off it.

Originally posted by onion2k

Also, it should be noted, the GPL has never been successfully used to defend against a license violation court as far as I know (I'd be very interested if someone knows otherwise..)
    Pretty sure there was one over here in Europe (I think it was Germany) a month or two back. Remember seeing an article on slashdot about it being the first of it's kind. I'm afraid I can't be bothered to trawl through the archives though, the kind of cholesterol I boast doesn't come easy; the slightest effort and I'll slip below par
    If at first it doesn't work, slap it with a dirty hack.

Moral of the week: Never let a moral of the week go on for more than a week, it's even sillier than feeding the admins.

My Blog

Thread Information