OK I searched, but didn't find the answer

Thread: OK I searched, but didn't find the answer

OK I searched, but didn't find the answer

Is it possible to use fopen to change the filename once you close it? I have a file that needs to be uploaded daily and once I am done with it each day, I would like the date to be appended to the filename so the next day I don't have to manually rename the previous days file. Boy that sounds confusing just writing it.

But, is it possible that on fclose the filename has the date appended?

So say I upload orders.txt and load my page. When I am done, I want the orders.txt to automatically be renamed orders20031911.txt. See where I am going with this?

Thanks for All your help!

Regards,
    Eric

There may or may not be.. I did a quick check through the Manual but didnt find anything.. but i did think of a work around.

After reading orders.txt you could create a newfile called whatever you want with the text of orders.txt and then delete orders.txt using unlink()

hth

Why dont you just change the filename of the file when the is uploaded. When you upload a file, info about that file is contained on the $_FILES array. for example you have an input field of type "file" which is named "pcfile". on the $_FILES array

$_FILES['pcfile'] contains for members

$_FILES['pcfile']['name'] -> true filename of the file
    $_FILES['pcfile']['tmp_name'] --> path to the tmp file on the server
    The other info you dont need

when you upload file to a directory on the webroot you need to copy the tmp_file to the directory on the web root or whatever by running

copy ( $_FILES['pcfile']['tmp_name'], '/path/to/file/'.$_FILES['name'].date("Ydm", time());

im not really sure of the indexes of the $_FILES['pcfile'] array to be sure make a test php script that contains only the following

while(list($key, $value) = each($_FILES['pcfile']))
    {
    echo $key.': '.$value;
    }

this will echo the indexes and the values of those indexes of $_FILES['pcfile'] array

Thread Information