• no options

0 0%
  • no options

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PHP Books

Originally posted by bubblenut
    If you have a question ask it in one of the help forums. If you're asking about books on phpbb then I'd have to say I doubt it. A search for computer books on Amazon using phpbb as the keyword turned up absolutely nothing.
    Thats not what im talking about.
    I'm talking about a book that uses the same template system.
    A book that uses the template() functions and how do use them.

Originally posted by uri92
    A book that uses the template() functions and how do use them.
    You may be able to find a book that uses Smarty, PHP's template system. It's a bit more advanced than that, though.
    - cai
    caiPHP

I'm pretty sure that the O'Reilly Cookbook that bubblenut and I were talkin about earlier has a bit about Smarty in it.

The Smarty subsite has a good crash course.

Thank you!
    Thats exactly what i'm talking about!
    THANKS!

I've pretty much worn the cover off of "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson (SAMS). I use it a lot, but it's pretty big and cumbersome. I just ordered "The PHP Anthology, Volume II: Applications" by Harry Fuecks (sitepoint) and now wish I'd order Volume I as well. I occasionally pull down my O'Reilley books, but not that often. I can usually find what I'm looking for in the Welling/Thomson book. I'm not saying it's a great book, but it's a good beginner book.

I need an intermediate/advanced book to take me to the next level.

PHP Related

Two good books for beginners, covering version 4:

• Sams Teach Yourself PHP MySQL and Apache - By Julie C. Meloni
    • PHP in easy steps for Windows and Linux - By Mike McGrath

Both are available at Barnes and Noble...
    Again, great references for beginners...

Cheers!!!
    What would Terrance and Phillip do???

I've order "Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional"
    But I didn't get it yet... It's an International Shipping...
    I hope its not too summarized and its more advanced...
    And I now learned using Smary.
    Thanks all for listening!
    Cya,
    URi92
    Head of PrOjEcT-MoD developers team.

Parse error line -1 Bunkermaster's Avatar
    <selfpromotion type="shameless">
    Dare I suggest this book?

Great stuff. Really experienced authors great guys.

</selfpromotion>
    **cough**

"Our ASP will blot out the sun!"
    "Then we will PHP in the shade"

Even after it's already been plugged once in this thread (first post), that *is* shameless
    If at first it doesn't work, slap it with a dirty hack.

Moral of the week: Never let a moral of the week go on for more than a week, it's even sillier than feeding the admins.

My Blog

I didn't know template() existed! I just did a search for it in the manual and it doesn't exist aparently.

PHP is a combination of programmign theory and web design. I learned both at a pretty young age and had lots of time playign around with different code.

So...a good book for people like me that understand the grammar and theory of programming either needs a nice big reference book or the existing manual translated into Joe's English with disections and further talk

I've learnt first hand how rubbish SAMS Teach Yourself books are! Just try picking up thier Javascript book. It starts throwing programs at you before it's even told u what javascript actually IS. It then proceeds to explain how programs use loops before explaining variables o_O

But then I sposed it's down to the individual author.

Does anybody know a good book based on what I think is a good book explained above?

I have found a O'Rielly book ISBN 0-596-00402-8 I'll write further details in a moment with EDITs.

EDIT: So that book you guys keep plugging. I',m guessing some people on here wrote it? Michael K Glass? Nice one...I'm member of the same forum as a pro

Anyway talking about books that we would recommend... I found this one by Oreilly.

PHP Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
    By Rasmus Lerdorf
    2nd Edition November 2002
    Series: Pocket References
    ISBN: 0-596-00402-8
    138 pages, $9.95 US, $14.95 CA (roughly 7)

About that Cookbook by Oreilly
    I was just looking at a PDF chapter preview of chapter 8 and the first thing I notice which is extremely helpful is the layout.

using headers: problem solution discussion, it starts by stating the problem scenario that we may come accross. Then it lists the ways in which we can tackle it followed by the description of how it is done. One example:

Problem
    You want to set a cookie
    Solution
    Use setcookie('flavor','chocolate chip');
    Discussion
    Cookies are sent with the HTTP headwer [...]

Has anybody seen anything of that reference pocket guide by Oreilly I mentioned up there? Sounds good. Anybody knwo of an extended version of the manual that I also mention up there^ ?
    Last edited by Davy; 08-29-2004 at 05:49 PM.
    Davh ~ Mackin php since Sept 2004
    <!--RTFM-->
    Current project == 'Benchmark Database'
    For($beverage = 0;$beverage<=$drunk;$beverage++){
    echo
    "More beer!!"; }

I've not read that specific book however I do have a couple of things to say about it.

1. It's published by O'Reilly which I have found to produce consistently well layed out and well written books.

2. It's written by Rasmus Lerdorf and he 'aint no chump!

3. It's about PHP!

4. It's already on the internet, is it not? It seems to be providing what is already available on php.net, in the manual. There may be a few extras and it may go into a little more detail here and there but I imagine it's going to be mainly used as a reference to check out syntax and usage for the vast range of functions available to the PHP programmer. I personally find the PHP manual to be insurmountable as a quick reference (but then, of course, I haven't got this book ). I would prehapse sway further towards a book which provides a wide range of clever tips and tricks like Oreilly's PHP Cookbook or more in-depth case studies showing how different aspects tie together in real world situations like Wrox's Professional PHP4, which is unfortunately no longer in print (there is another book by Wrox which is supposed to be pretty damned good but I haven't read it so I'm afraid I can't really have an opinion).

This said, however, in the imortal words of a guy I met late one night, while proping up the bar in a race course lounge after blowing all my grandparents life savings on a 300-1 shot ... "Horses for courses"

Moral of the week: Never let a moral of the week go on for more than a week, it's even sillier than feeding the admins.

My Blog

I will be for definate be purchasing these 2 Oreilly books!

But the thing is...I just found the eBook cookbook in KaZaA which leaves me wonderin if that is a good thing (I spend nothing!) or a bad thing (not supporting all his hard work working on the book)
    <!--RTFM-->
    echo
    "More beer!!"; }

I'd always go with buying a book, but then I loooooove books (I've had to budjet myself to 50/month to stop things getting out of hand )so I may be a little biased.

On a side note, I notice you're in London. Would you be up for PHPConUK2004-2 in October?

My Blog

Originally posted by bubblenut
    in-depth case studies showing how different aspects tie together in real world situations like Wrox's Professional PHP4, which is unfortunately no longer in print
    Guess what else I found in KaZaA
    <!--RTFM-->
    echo
    "More beer!!"; }

A good read !!

Having just thrown myself into php,MySql and apache and having late nights over the computer..................feet deep in empty pizza boxes and pot noodles, i have realised I am not going to master this in a week, I should have learnt my lesson when I bought "learn dreamweaver & HTML in 7 days" the book was that thick and expensive I acquired it over many instalments and several years later I keep saying that I must finish it off but it would mean reading chapter one and two all over again............and the fact that it had a total of fifty two chapters became very daunting.

So I believe you learn from your mistakes.............I also believe that I want to get from A to B as quick as possible without having too many late nights and reading numerous books..............as Betrand Russell ( Mathematician and philosopher) once said...

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important"

So after searching carefully for a good read I found "beginning PHP, Apache, MySql web development" by Wiley publishing.

The book comes across with a good structure and is something I can read easy.............the funny thing is when I got home and started reading it most of the writers are / where Moderators with...............you guessed it PHPBuilder.com. (Probably have people moderating for them now they have sold the book in thousands) so if your still moderating "BuzzLY", Yann, "trooper", "stolzboy" or "goldbug" then I hope you have made your success with the book sales...................as long as im not still reading it this time next year.

Oh, and not forgetting Elizabeth ( what a stunner..............worth buying the book just to see her)

The book is a good read and I would recommend.............ask any moderator on here..................will keep you updated on progress.

Mark
    Last edited by cody44; 08-31-2004 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information