0. You may not vote on this poll
  • no options

0 0%
  • no options

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PHP Books

There is a php for dummies book but it cant touch this one, I didnt really find it helpful at all. The O'reilly cookbook is good but too advanced for a beginner.

I still use the Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development" as a reference, its got a huge function list in the back too.

I got thrown in at the deepend (or so i thought at the time) and told to build a CMS with no programming knowledge at all, this book really really helped

Quote Originally Posted by bailo81
    I cant give enough credit to the authors of

"Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development.

The book is awesome, I owe my degree to this book!
    I bought this same book with excitement. I was on this board before I bought the book. The book seemed to be very detailed. I respect the authors but this goes for all book authors... when ever I read "Oh you'll need to know the meaning of life but hey we dont teach it this book" or "WE cover that in later chapters".

Sadly almost, I stress almost everything in the bok I had learnt either from Larry Ullmans book mentioned above or myself. I stress that you look at the books more closely you buy.

The book is GOOD, I have learnt some very interesting techniques that can only be taught through experience but there are some security holes no doubt ONLY in the book due to simplicity and perhaps a deadline. Also the book in far larger and long winded than it needs to be.

Either way, good book, the jokes are funny
    a new day, a new beginning

Quote Originally Posted by bailo81
    I cant give enough credit to the authors of

"Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development.

The book is awesome, I owe my degree to this book!
    i'm sure we can get you our addresses and you can send pieces of the degree to us

http://www.codesight.net - Web Hosting, Custom Web Development, Web Hosting, Web Consulting

I'll cut it into 6 so you can all frame a little piece

Nice... I'd like a corner piece.

Where do we send the reference checks?
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

I have a question about that.

My cover has 5 people on it and 5 in the inside of the cover, with your real names and little... comments. But on the back it has advertising with the wrox books and the current book with 6 people. The end dude is chopped off

Do I have the draft version... seems like it

Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85
    I have a question about that.

My cover has 5 people on it and 5 in the inside of the cover, with your real names and little... comments. But on the back it has advertising with the wrox books and the current book with 6 people. The end dude is chopped off

Do I have the draft version... seems like it
    a mistake on their part

http://www.codesight.net - Web Hosting, Custom Web Development, Web Hosting, Web Consulting

LMAO, yeah I saw wrox.com... was he pissed? Change a few pages to say PHP5 and pimp it out again hey?

I doubt I will buy another book again unless it is from Peachpit Press, their Visual Quick Start books are BRILLIANT. I also like QUE books as well, I have two of them, funny enough both are on markup (HTML & XML). I believe a publisher reflects the quality of the book and the authors.

BPAMWD was the first 'group' or gang bang book I have read. I own another but its on JavaScript and yeah its collecting dust. I won't buy another group book again. ONLY reason being the conflicting styles, some people know how to teach and make a point, others don't.

he wasn't doing his part i believe, afaik... so he was taken out of the book and they obviously forgot to take his pic off the back page...

and no... we didn't just change a few things and put PHP5 on it :P

You should buy both books and compare them
    New to the board? Check out the guidelines
    | Color Picker | Blogification |

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it's still a beautiful world.

How about a refund for the one I bought

Intermediate/Cookbook-sort-of book?

Hi! I just finished O'reilly's "Learning PHP 5". Prior to reading it I had no programming experience, but I'd highly recommend it to any beginner. It was a really great "introduction" book, and it "introduced" (imagine that!) a lot of different uses for PHP.
    Trouble is, I finished it and don't know what to do now. I've been looking for a good intermediate-to-advanced book, but hopefully one that doesn't stick to only one topic (eg SQL, security, etc.) I also don't (but want to) know about "design principles" and OOP. A cookbook-style book would be ideal, since I'd like to learn what all I can do with PHP - sort of an idea book for things to try. There is O'reilly's "PHP Cookbook", but it's something like three years old. Is it still worth buying today?
    What about:

Is anyone familiar with these books? Do they require a lot of existing knowledge? If I buy just one, which one (not necessarily from this list) would you recommend? I'm sorry it's such an ambiguous question, but any suggestions you have would be really appreciated! Thanks!

"The trouble with Amazon.com is that everything is rated 4.5/5!"

I've got the cookbook, id recommend it, although its quite old its got some good stuff in there, maybe go into a book shop and have a browse first to see what you think.

Last week i ordered the PHP Anthology off amazon, its a really good book which completely concentrates on object oriented programming. I'd recommend it to anyone trying to move on to the next level.

Has anyone read "Core Web Application Development with PHP and MySQL" by Marc Wandschneider (Sep/05) ?

[EDIT]
    Am currently reading this book, so far it is beyond brilliant - NOT for beginners - Only previous programmers. For some what experienced PHP programmers it is said (and appears) to focus on OOP, Security and Application Development Theory.
    Last edited by Jason Batten; 12-27-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Web Dot Dev
    what about free books online for php and mysql? where i can find them if there is any of it....

Thread Information