SMTP server response: 530 authentication required

Thread: SMTP server response: 530 authentication required

Question SMTP server response: 530 authentication required

To learn PHP I am using the book titled:
    PHP fast&ease web development by Julie C. Meloni.......

The full error is as follows:

Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 530 authentication required - for
    help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html in c:\program
    files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php on line 10

I receive the error above when I attempt to send mail via a PHP script.
    From what I have read the PHP mail() function does not support Authenticated
    SMTP, just uses SMTP on the localhost, or that configured in the PHP.ini file.

What I was reading suggested to use the PEAR functions. Hm... after looking
    that the functions PEAR provides PEAR may not work on a WIN machine. OR
    maybe I don't understand what I have read. Yep I am learning PHP.

How do I get around this situation?

It sounds like you are developing with a Win32 box, right? In your php.ini file, what have you got for the following:

SMTP =

and

sendmail_from =

The first one should be your ISP's SMTP server, in most cases, unless you are running your own SMTP server.

The second one should be your e-mail address.

Thanks Rachel for replying!

I have placed the SMTP & sendmail_from information in the PHP.ini file.

I know that the SMTP & sendmail_from information is in the PHP.ini file because I can see the values when I run PHPinfo.

My ISP is requesting a username and password (I think). Since the Mail() function does not handle authentication I continue to receive the error mention above.

AFAIK, that's the extent of what you could do on your own. Generally, if you are connected to your ISP, you should be able to use their SMTP servers, but it sounds like your ISP has some additional requirements. If you can willing to do so, think about signing up with a web hosting company that has PHP and MySQL capabilities. Then you can develop and not have to worry about these things. I run my own code under Linux and I use qmail for my SMTP server, so maybe someone else will be able to throw some more suggestions regarding how to overcome the problem you are encountering. However, I don't think there is much more you can do since it sounds like a problem at the ISP and not your php.ini file.

I am with an ISP that has PHP and MYSQL!

I am not thinking! I guess I need to do/learn everything from my webspace/ISP and NOT from my computer. Well, at least this section of the learning material. This is why I continue to receive the error message below:

Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication. in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\send_simpleform.php on line 10

OK, OK I will move my files to my Webspace and work from there.

Thanks Rachel!

Right, working with the mail() function is a b*tch if you can't determine whether the mail is not going through because of the SMTP server or because you are missing items in the message header. So, eliminate one problem by using the SMTP service provided by your hosting company. Now, any problems that you have could/should be narrowed down to errors in your PHP code. Be sure to check out the PHP manual and read through the user comments for the mail() function. It will be worth your time. The Julie Meloni book is good for an introduction. I used it back in 1999 when it was called PHP Essentials. Afterwards, you'll move on to more thorough books. Hope this helped.

The script work! Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS Rachel!

Thread Information