Anon - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anon

AJAX Pimp
    Thanks for the info. I'll need to do some research so I can understand more about all this.

Like I said, Windows reports my timezone as GMT-5 (Eastern), and it says the time is 8:47 a.m. But PHP Builder says "all timezones are GMT-4", but it alsos says the time is 8:47. So, I know my usual time zone is GMT-5, so the -4 must mean that...I have no clue. I do know that it is summer! Right now it's August 17th, 2005, and we're definitely in the "dog days" of summer down here in FL. That'll last till about Mid-October, when, as I said, one of my friends will say to set my clock 1 hour (ahead|back). The other two things I know is this: Windows is set to automagically adjust for daylight savings time, and this nursery rhyme: "Spring forward, fall back".

I must really sound dense, don't I?
    Logan K.
    <logankriete@gmail.com>

black sheep with red wool Merve's Avatar
    I don't know why it's reporting the timezones like that. I know that PHPBuilder does keep track of daylight savings time though. However, it must be noted that the name of that timezone changes during daylight savings time from EST (Eastern Standard Time) to EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), so I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Incidentally, (sorry for taking this OT), what do you guys think of the US proposition to extend daylight savings time? (Canada has its daylight savings time in sync with that of the United States, except for the province of Saskatchewan, which doesn't have daylight savings time.)
    "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- Jean Chrétien

The Three C's

AJAX Pimp
    It's an interesting proposition...remind me again, what'll be the effect it'll have on us? (If I'm not mistaken, you're in Canada...)
    Logan K.
    <logankriete@gmail.com>

With regards to the anon user: way way back many centuries ago (well, kinda) the PHPBuilder board did not use vBulletin, but was a hand coded board by one Tim Perdue which allowed guests to post. When internet.com took over, all those guest posts had to go somewhere, so they were all tucked away and posted by this Anon character.

Thats why "he" has so many posts.

It was a proposition put forward in the United States, but it's just a proposition; I'm not even sure if they've passed it. A lot of Canadians think it might affect trade if we don't go along with it. Personally, I don't agree. Saskatchewan's getting along just fine, and it does a lot of cross-border trade (all that wheat has to go somewhere).
    "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- Jean Chrétien

The Three C's

AJAX Pimp
    Piersk - interesting info. I didn't know the history of PHP Builder. I know that JupiterMedia is doing a good job of running it right now, but I wanted to see what Tim's version was like. Also, I don't know if you were around then, but were you part of the board back then in 1999-2000? What was it like working with PHP way back then? Was it as easy as it was now?

Merve - Do Canadians use the same timezones as America?
    Logan K.
    <logankriete@gmail.com>

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK
    Some crazy canucks like to claim half time zones, like the silly Newfies
    -Karl
    Problem solved? Mark your thread resolved!
    See how many times my link has been used to mark a thread resolved here
    (fixed to work with updated VBulletin... this works again!)

With the exception of Newfoundland (but not Labrador) and Saskatchewan, yes. We use six timezones: Newfoundland, Atlantic, Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. Newfoundland is half an hour ahead of Atlantic. Saskatchewan is located in the Mountaind Timezone, but does not use daylight savings time. Otherwise, we are completely in sync with the United States when it comes to timezones.

The Three C's

if he looks anything like his avatar...

'Ang on, which avatar were you looking at?!
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

AJAX Pimp
    Which other ones are there? The only one I've ever seen is your PHP Builder one, a black mass of black...nothingness (for lack of a better word).
    Logan K.
    <logankriete@gmail.com>

I always assumed that it was the milky way.
    Not using [PHP] tags makes the baby jesus cry.
    The help of an enthusiastic idiot is worse than the sabotage of an expert.
    Don't be a PhPenis - RTFM - still stuck? Then go DAFT (Do A Fekkin Tutorial)

The original is here. That should explain the Location: field as well.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

AJAX Pimp
    Ah, I get it now. That explains the location field and (sorta) the title field.

Thanks for clarifying that pic!!

Logan K.
    <logankriete@gmail.com>

Thread Information