Zend Framework

Thread: Zend Framework

Zend Framework

Recently Zend have released a preview version of their upcoming PHP 5 framework. Developers include Andi Gutmans and Chris Shiflett - big names in PHP. Extreme Simplicity is the driving idea. Whether it is true remains to be seen.

The framework is based around the MVC design pattern, and provides a whole bunch of extra functionality for speeding up application development. Beware, the current release is definitely 'alpha' stage and there are still bugs abound.

At a first glance I am really liking what I see. There's nothing terrifically revolutionary here but not many frameworks have names like Zend and IBM behind them.

Some hot debate has being going on at Sitepoint, with some amusing bashing both to and from Chris Shiflett.

It's all really interesting for me, I am looking to take up an MVC framework which will take care of the mundane things in development. If the forthcoming Eclipse plugin is of the same high standard I think I will have found a winner.
    Last edited by Shrike; 03-06-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    The Hundredth Idiot

Thanks for the heads-up
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

the truly amusing thing about Chris Shiflett posting on Sitepoint is that he only bothers to pop his head in when someone says something he doesn't like. He is completely absent from all other discussions.

I'm sure he's a busy person, hey we all are. But I do find it rather amusing that he doesn't have time for productive discussions, but at the slightest hint of descent toward PHP, Zend, or anything he's working on, he's got plenty of time to jump in with both guns blazin'... And anytime debate with him gets heated, it's really quite sad because he's never to blame in the eyes of the moderators. They really do baby him in issues where clearly 2 or more parties are equally involved. Ah, don't you just love politics.

The Zend Framework (ZF) seems a bit to early in development for me. I think I'll continue using my own for now (or possibly indefinitely). Only time will tell how good it will eventually turn out. IBM has a few really nice extensions they are developing for PHP, so here's hoping they put that same kind of effort into the Framework (I can't be sure but it seems like so far it has mostly coded by a only few people)

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by dream.scape
    he only bothers to pop his head in when someone says something he doesn't like
    Like kibo in Usenet, only with smarter AI?
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    How smart would it really have to be?
    PHP Code:
    <?php

$data
    =system("lynx -dump http://sitepoint.net/forum.php?foo=bar");

if (
    stristr("Shiflett"$data) {
       if 
    stristr("stupid"$data {

syslog(LOG_EMERG"Sitepoint lusers up in arms *AGAIN*");
       }
    }

?>
    And, of course, since he *IS* Chris Shiflett, I'm sure he could do a much better job.....

/!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Construction zone
    Zend Framework...is the title of this thread.

Thanks Shrike for the heads up...I've been waiting for this to start happening.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp
    I'm sure he could do a much better job.....
    And extremely simply, too.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Zend Framework, awww thanks but no thanks

*spanks the procedural monkey one more time!
    a new day, a new beginning

Thread Information