[RESOLVED] Directory Responds But Doesn't Exist

Thread: [RESOLVED] Directory Responds But Doesn't Exist

resolved [RESOLVED] Directory Responds But Doesn't Exist

Weirdest thing I've come across.

I'm developing a project internally with Apache 2.2 as the server on Ubuntu 11.10 x64. I have a bunch of sub directories under my www root but none of which are called simply "download", however, if you go to www.mysite.com/download/ it responds.

I have a script file in the document root called download.php but no directory named that. I am using no mod_rewrite rules, I've done a "locate -i download" and the results it shows are not web accessible to begin with.

I have no scripts that dynamically create the directory and at this point am at a loss for where it actually exists. I see no mention of it in my httpd.conf and have checked the alias locations.

All the same, www.mysite.com/download/ responds and shows content. It's mind boggling... ANY advice on where to look?

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    mod_speling, perhaps?

What content is the server responding with?
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

The server is actually displaying with the same logic check that my download.php file has. From what I can tell anyway, since nothing which is something along the lines of:

Simplified
    PHP Code:
    if(!isset($_GET['variable'])){
         echo 
    "URL is invalid";

Since it hits that stop, it doesn't display anything further but my download.php is the only script that has that specific error message on a stop.

Not sure I'm understanding mod_speling the way it would apply here. From what I comprehend, that module would allow a user to misspell something like status.html as stats.html and still get the page to display? But it doesn't mention taking a file and converting it to a directory if someone leaves off the extension.

The only way I've seen .php scripts get re-written as directories - download.php would become /download/ - is with mod_rewrite.

Nevertheless, neither of those two modules are active.

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Sounds like you've got MultiViews enabled.

That was it! Thanks brad.

I find it interesting that mod_speling is well spelled wrong lol.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    It's that way on purpose --- typical geek humor, actually (as you might already know; otherwise take a look at Eric S. Raymond's Jargon File and light up your inner geek-fu
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    It's that way on purpose --- typical geek humor, actually (as you might already know; otherwise take a look at Eric S. Raymond's Jargon File and light up your inner geek-fu
    Never heard of "the Jargon" or Jargon File before, definitely giving me a smile on this dreary Monday morning.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Thread Information