Is the ability to use/design MVC framework signature for advanced programmers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the ability to use/design MVC framework signature for advanced programmers?

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian
    An after thought, one of the biggest problems I've had when working with others is the thought process of "Oh I'll secure it later". That frustrates me to no end, its like why spend a week writing a DB abstraction layer that is vulnerable to SQL injection, then go back and spend more days fixing it so its not vulnerable to injection when you can just make it right from the get go.

I find this "security as an afterthought" is all too rampant, and while I have great confidence in your abilities to code defensively from the start laser, the way you phrased this is the epitome of what frustrates me about so many other developers.
    So J. Random Designer comes up with a spiffy new design for a car, but without making any consideration for security - there are no locks on the doors, for example. "Oh, I'll add security in later", which he eventually does do. Of course, it means completely reworking the door latch mechanism so that it can be decoupled from the door's handle (not to mention changes to the UI). But after doing that the window no longer works - turns out the reworked mechanism juts out into the space the lowered window was supposed to occupy.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

but a website isn't like a car, right?

after all, you only need to keep people out of your car.

with a website, you need to let them in, listen to the radio, adjust the mirrors, switch gears, rev the engine, and (at the same time) prevent them from driving off or stealing your spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by traq
    after all, you only need to keep people out of your car.
    Child lock? Though that's more about safety than security.
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I prefer my original version...

So J. Random Designer comes up with a spiffy new design for a $device, but without making any consideration for security - there is no $device->$security_requirement, for example. "Oh, I'll add security in later", which he eventually does do. Of course, it means completely reworking the $device->$security_requirement->implementation() (not to mention changes to the UI). But after doing that the $device->$other_aspect no longer works - turns out $device->$security_requirement->implementation()->conflicts_with($device->$other_aspect->implementation()) == true.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 04-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Weed that made me smile and laugh, thanks for starting my morning off well.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Haha brilliant!
    Prison of Mirrors
    Declare variables, not war.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with procedural PHP, it has its place. I've used it recently for some short command line scripts on a cron, and the only OO part is the DB layer which is PDO. As each of these scripts is pretty unique and has no crossover, and the longest one is barely 100 lines including the HTML, JS and CSS, going full OOP seems a little overkill. Sure, I could, but there would be no point here. It would have taken more time and gained nothing.

As others have said, it's more about the application of the knowledge than just knowing stuff. Computer courses can teach you all kinds of things, but it's real work experience that really tests you. Knowing a few ways to do something is probably a fairly good indicator of experience level though I'd say.
    Ashley Sheridan
    www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Sheridan
    As others have said, it's more about the application of the knowledge than just knowing stuff. Computer courses can teach you all kinds of things, but it's real work experience that really tests you. Knowing a few ways to do something is probably a fairly good indicator of experience level though I'd say.
    Indeed: a project I'm currently working on has variables whose values often are but might not be known when the variable is being assigned to, or might not be in scope when the variable is used.

So what I've got is that, while such variables would usually contain literals, they may also contain thunks. When and where their actual values are needed they're passed through a (global) function:
    PHP Code:
    function think($value)
    {
        while(!
    is_scalar($value) && is_callable($value))
        {

$value $value();
        }
        return 
    $value;

Thread Information