PHP PDO execute() .... somewhat confused ?

Thread: PHP PDO execute() .... somewhat confused ?

PHP Lover

Question PHP PDO execute() .... somewhat confused ?

Hi,

Below i have some sample code and am confused over execute(), i have the code below in a try and catch block, in the catch block i call a function i created to log any error that is caught in catch block to a .txt file.

I then looked online and it seems that i should do an if statement check on execute to ensure it executed the query, the part that confuses me if the execute failed i thought it would be caught in the catch block but it seems that is not the case.

To explain better i have commented the code in depth on the area that i am confused about.

Any help in making me understand would be great. I have not included all code above try and catch to keep things simple

PHP Code:
    <?php

try {

// connect to database

$dbh sql_con();

// checke if username exists on users table or users banlist table

$stmt $dbh->prepare("
            SELECT
              users.user_login
            FROM
              users
            WHERE
              users.user_login = ?
            UNION ALL
            SELECT
              users_banlist.user_banlist
            FROM
              users_banlist
            WHERE
              users_banlist.user_banlist = ?"
    );

// this is the part i am confused with, why is it i would use an if statement on execute() ?
            // i thought using a try and catch block any errors would be caught in the catch block.
            // using an if statement to check if execute() worked, i thought if execute failed it would
            // be handled by the catch block, i mean in my exmaple code here, what could cause the execute to fail ?
            // and why if execute failed it would not be caught by catch block ?
            // i am looing at exmaple online and i am reading different things and its all confusing me

// execute query

if(!$stmt->execute(array($username$username))){
                echo 
    'something went wrong .. ';
            } else {

// execute worked

}
        } 
    // if any errors found log them  in my ExceptionErrorHandler() function and display friendly message

catch (PDOException $e) {

// this function catches an error and logs them to file

ExceptionErrorHandler($e);
            require_once(
    $footer_inc);
            exit;
        }
        }

?>
    Thanks or any help!

PHP Code:
    $dbh->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODEPDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION); 
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

PHP Lover

Question

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I already have it set to the following in my sql_con() function which establishes connection to database:
    PHP Code:

My confusion is in my try block i try to check if a username exists on the users table and user ban list table, it then gets executed using execute(), now my confusion is why would i use an if statement around the execute() as shown in my code ?

I thought if the execute() failed it would be caught in the catch block, but seeing examples online i see people wrap the execute() in an if statement as illustrated in my code.

and back to my questions:

1) In example code, why is it i would use an if statement on execute() ? (if it failed to execute shouldn't it be caught in the catch block ? )

2) What could cause the execute to fail ?

3) and why if execute failed it would not be caught by catch block ?

I am confusing myself somewhere and am not quite getting it, hence my questions.

Basically anything caught in the catch block in example code is written to a log file, in example code in catch block i call my function ExceptionErrorHandler($e);, this function writes any error to file.

Hopefully i have explained better.

Thanks for trying to help.

Looks like it's because the default behavior for MySQL is to emulate prepared statements, which then seems to short-circuit the error-to-exception process. You can tell it not to do this, though it may cost some in terms of performance:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    try {

$dbh = new PDO('mysql:dbname=test;host=localhost''foo''bar');

// this line:

$dbh->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_EMULATE_PREPARESfalse);
        echo 
    "<p>Test 1:</p>\n";

$sql "SELECT 'foo'";

$stmt $dbh->prepare($sql);

$stmt->execute();
        echo 
    "<p>Test 2:</p>\n";

$sql "SELECT * FROM bogus_table_name";

$stmt $dbh->prepare($sql);

$stmt->execute($sql);
    }
    catch(
    PDOException $e) {
        echo 
    "<pre>".print_r($e1)."</pre>";
    }
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Thread Information