portable lamp server - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: portable lamp server

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    I've read that QEMU (qemu.org) is handy for a VM on pen drives ... supposedly runs pretty well without depending on root/administrator privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Sheridan View Post
    Or you could set it all up on some remote hosting and use SSH to manage the server. This is very easy to do with Linux (KIOslaves mean you can mount remote NFS/SFTP/etc shares as if they were local) and I believe a Mac could do this too. It might be a bit more tricky on Windows, as is usual with things that aren't the "normal" way of doing things!
    I must've missed something ... no problem admin'ing 'Nix from Windows. Shares? SMB/Samba?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    I must've missed something ... no problem admin'ing 'Nix from Windows. Shares? SMB/Samba?
    NO, but it's more tricky, because you have to set up a Samba server on the Linux box, and then get Windows to connect to it, something that can suffer from weirdness depending on the particular version of Windows installed (hell, sometimes even getting Windows machines to communicate with other Windows machines using SMB is a pain). On Linux it's usually as simple as making sure the SSH server is running (which it is by default on some distros)
    Ashley Sheridan
    www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Sheridan View Post
    NO, but it's more tricky, because you have to set up a Samba server on the Linux box, and then get Windows to connect to it, something that can suffer from weirdness depending on the particular version of Windows installed (hell, sometimes even getting Windows machines to communicate with other Windows machines using SMB is a pain). On Linux it's usually as simple as making sure the SSH server is running (which it is by default on some distros)
    My media server at home is a Ubuntu install. I installed Samba and made the share I wanted. I was able to connect to it with my Windows 7 machine just like any other network share. Maybe I got lucky?
    Declare variables, not war.

Probably. I've not had any major problems myself connecting to Samba shares from Windows, but I've known people who have, and just the other week was reading an article in Linux Magazine that spoke about this exact same problem.
    Ashley Sheridan
    www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Thread Information