503s from G00gul?

Thread: 503s from G00gul?

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

503s from G00gul?

I suppose I can guess why this is occurring:
    Quote Originally Posted by some error log
    PHP Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.google.com/search?q=Yokel+Frobnitz): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable
    I guess I need to read this page?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

They're probably blocking if they think you're not a real person using a web browser.
    Ashley Sheridan
    www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Google definitely has some anti-DoS, IDS, and/or something-or-others that can get rather upset when you try to access Google in a peculiar way without using an API. Surfing via open/heavily-used proxies, for example, can force you to solve a CAPTCHA before Google will let you anywhere near it's site with a normal browser.

I'm quite aware ... now, anyways. I've seen it from Chrome on my desktop ... probably because the entire office is behind NAT.

I'm doing stats now ... it appears that the Goog-juice I was looking for isn't really influencing my AI anyways, so I'll wait and see. Just one of those things where I pulled the trigger without really thinking about what the results might be ;-)
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Sheridan View Post
    They're probably blocking if they think you're not a real person using a web browser.
    Yes indeedy. I was kinda wondering if what would happen if I used curl and spoofed some UA strings --- but see my comment above. If I can leverage my other sources and get decent results, I'll do so.

Thread Information