Javascript checkbox checked

Thread: Javascript checkbox checked

Javascript checkbox checked

I have a form with about 25 checkbox's

I need to ensure at least one is selected, how can I do this with so many checkbox's?

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Use either a commonality in the naming scheme (either of the 'name' or 'id' attributes) or use DOM methods on a common parent node to iterate over all of the checkboxes. Stop at the first one you find that is checked. If the loop terminates and you never found one, your condition wasn't met.

jQuery approach:

Code:
    var hasChecked = $('input[type=checkbox]:checked').length > 0;
    Last edited by Derokorian; 02-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    I suppose you could also do something similar without jQuery using XPath... although I do like the brevity of the jQuery syntax in this case.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by bradgrafelman View Post
    I suppose you could also do something similar without jQuery using XPath... although I do like the brevity of the jQuery syntax in this case.
    The DOM/XPath version is about three times longer...
    Code:
    var hasChecked = document.evaluate('.//input[@type="checkbox"][@checked]',
                     document, null, XPathResult.BOOLEAN_TYPE, null).booleanValue;
    If you're otherwise using jQuery there's no reason not to use it for this, but if you're not otherwise using jQuery it's a bit much.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 02-14-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    The DOM/XPath version is about three times longer...
    ... unless, of course, your website has no other use of jQuery, in which case I would say the DOM/XPath version (or even the simplistic approach I proposed above) is several orders of magnitudes smaller when compared with (the above jQuery statement + the jQuery library).

@NZ_Kiwis: Moral of the story: There's more than one way to skin a mongoose. (Actually, there are three...)

I agree, if this is the only thing you use jQuery on its not necessary to include the whole library for something like simple. However, personally I have lots of jQuery all throughout sites I've worked on, so I'm just used to doing it all in jQuery.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Thread Information