[RESOLVED] Indenting Nested categories

Thread: [RESOLVED] Indenting Nested categories

resolved [RESOLVED] Indenting Nested categories

i am using a nested categories table, that is setup with id, name, lft, rgt. The children categories have lft and rgt numbers that fall within the paren'ts lft and rgt values. I am wanting to indent the sub-categories, and I am having a hard time with it.

I have a category called root, that is the parent to all categories. I do not want the Root to show up, and i do not want the direct children categories under root indented.
    It currently looks like this

root
    +accessories
    +Infant
    ++Girl's
    ++boys
    +Toddler

I want it to look like this.

accessories
    Infant
    +Girl's
    +boys
    Toddler

this is the code I have. I did get the Root to go away, but have not been able to fix the indents the way i want.

PHP Code:
    $sql "SELECT lft, rgt FROM product_categories WHERE id=1"//root category
    $stmt $db->query($sql);
    $row $stmt->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
    $rgt $row['rgt'];
    $lft $row['lft'];
    $right=array();
    $sql "SELECT * FROM product_categories WHERE lft BETWEEN $lft AND $rgt ORDER BY lft ASC";
    $stmt $db->query($sql);
    while (
    $row $stmt->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC)) {
      if(
    count($right)>0) {
        while (
    $right[count($right)-1]<$row['rgt']) {

array_pop($right);
        }
      }
      if(
    $row['name'] != 'Root') {

$category_list .= '<li>'.str_repeat(' + ',count($right)).$row['name'].'</li>';
      }

$right[] = $row['rgt'];

Hope the format is okay. I am blind, so the indenting for the code does me no good, so i do not do it for myself. I know people like to have it done that way.

If there is a different/better way of doing what I want, your suggestions are much appreciated.

If this has been discussed previously, and I missed it, please feel free to point me in that direction.

thanks,
    Michael

I don't know if this would produce the results you're looking for or not, but you could try changing the str_repeat call to use count($right)-1 instead of just count.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

thanks, that seem to do the trick, along with my if statement to prevent Root from showing up. Without the if statement, I was getting an error "Warning: str_repeat(): Second argument has to be greater than or equal to 0 in...".

Thanks,
    Michael

Thread Information