About PHP benchmarks

Thread: About PHP benchmarks

About PHP benchmarks

Well recently I found this interesting article about PHP benchmarks. It discusses some basic benchmarks for some PHP's special OO features such as magic methods, array access and iterators:
    http://www.garfieldtech.com/blog/magic-benchmarks

Its a very helpful article, but still I have a few questions yet to be answered:

1. That article was made in 2007, thats before PHP 5.3 was released. So is there any difference regarding the benchmarks in latest versions of PHP?
    2. How about the new features like namespace, traits and __callStatic()? How much more expensive to use them?
    3. The author keeps saying database and IO usually are bigger issues, then how much slower is it to use database/IO?

So anyone of you know the answers to some of the questions? Just curious.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    I suspect that the biggest time factor is time spent in architectural design, development, testing, and maintenance. Certainly it's got by far the highest unit cost. If the language and development environment provides facilities to reduce those costs, then that's a Good Thing.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 04-10-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    I suspect that the biggest time factor is time spent in architectural design, development, testing, and maintenance. Certainly it's got by far the highest unit cost. If the language and development environment provides facilities to reduce those costs, then that's a Good Thing.
    So you are saying that those benchmarks aint real issue if they exist to reduce the design/development cost significantly? That makes sense, but anyway it is always a balance game between development speed and performance speed. Thats why I am curious at finding out these performance benchmarks and compare them to the other costs to see whether it is worth applying a language feature. If it makes the script run like say 1.5 times slower but reduces the development speed by half, then Id say its not a big deal. However, if the script runs 5 times slower, it will have to be taken into serious consideration whether it is worth slowing down the development to compensate for performance.

Thread Information