phpbuilder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phpbuilder

phpbuilder

Is it just me or has this forum really slowed down a bit?

Maybe a few contributing factors??
    1.) New Design
    2.) Site Speed
    3.) SEO
    4.) Lot's of PHP Resources since 1999 (treehouse,lynda,youtube mania, etc...)
    5.) PHP apps'

???????

Anyway... just thought I would start a quick thread and see if anyone else thinks the same?
    Bob Lob Law

I've noticed the slowdown, and I haven't even been here that long.

Most forums go through slow spots, though, and I didn't think it had been long enough to say if it was anything more than that.

#1, #2, #3: never noticed any problems.

#4: yes, paid services seem to make more popular programming "resources" than community-based groups. disappointing.

what do you mean by #5?

#5: I mean app's for phones, tablets, etc... Lot's of great reference apps to inquire questions. just a thought.

I don't want to hark on the new design too much b/c I don't hate it but it seems since the redesign it's been less and less post. I did a bing/google/yahoo search for PHP Forum(bad search I know) and phpbuilder wasn't on any #1 pages but php freaks was always near top....

I actually have a few books from University that mention this site. Just seems like a big slow down.

I for sure could be wrong.
    Bob Lob Law

I figure it's some combination of the increasing popularity of stackOverflow, the fact that people who used to use forums like this both for information/learning as well as socializing (especially in this sub-forum) now do most of their on-line socializing on facebook and similar, plus the likelihood that many early members have gotten tired of the same old questions* once traffic peaked here with lots of new PHP-ers.

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Actually I noticed that the site seems to load slower since the re-design. Also my old bookmark stopped working instead of redirecting quickly, so that may have put a few people off too.

I think NogDog has a point. The fact that quite a few regulars (including myself) have text files with "Standard answers" doesn't speak well to people's ability to use a search system. The fact that half the time, I can find the answer by copy pasting the subject line into google, also speaks poorly for the regulars to "exercise" their brain power on good questions, instead see nothing but drivel.

I know from my point of view, I will probably not be leaving this forum any time soon, if for no other reason than I kind of feel like I owe this community, being that many of the long time members have shaped my knowledge into what it is today. Thanks for that by the way
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Yep, I owe much of my PHP/web-dev ability to this forum. Interestingly, a lot of that did not come from asking questions, but from figuring out answers for other people's questions. I think all good programmers like to solve puzzles, so they are more likely to search for answers, do some trial-and-error and so forth rather than just asking someone else -- at least not until the schedule demands it.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog
    Interestingly, a lot of that did not come from asking questions, but from figuring out answers for other people's questions.
    Exactly the same for me
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Interestingly, a lot of that did not come from asking questions, but from figuring out answers for other people's questions.
    +1

I agree completely, although I did ask some pretty dumb questions that y'all helped me with, but it wasn't "here's the answer". I think the most important thing I learned from this forum isn't how to write code, but how to find answers.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    First of all, I'd suggest that it's real, at least in terms of interaction. Ten years ago we had multiple pages of new posts each day. Now, less than one some days.

Facebook is a bit of it. Slow load of pages may have an effect. I wonder if many of the geeks who were here to learn PHP back in the day learned it and have moved on. Whoever mentioned StackOverflow has a good point, too.

I've wondered if we trolled Elizabeth and Daynah too much (are there any women here anymore?)

Can anyone comment on where PHP peeps might be besides StackOverflow? I think I'm a member at PHPFreaks, but I always preferred this community. Reason I ask ... if there are just as many, or more, people using PHP forums these days, they must be someplace. It could be that an analysis of what's happening where they are could reveal our shortcomings here.....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

I agree, I've learned a lot here and I really appreciate everyones help over the years... One thing about this site I really enjoy is when people post multiple solutions to the same problem.

Everyone mentioning other social platforms available today makes me think of sites like Wordpress, Drupal, CMSMS, phpBB, WuFoo, etc, etc... If you need something you just download a module or plugin. I guess when I first came here a lot people were building all of those modules/plugins/sites on their own.

The only sites I frequent now are stackoverflow, css-tricks, iprodeveloper, zend, code-pen, daniweb, php-freaks(rarely) and here of course.

I still think the new site & load times are playing a small role. JMO
    Bob Lob Law

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian
    I think NogDog has a point. The fact that quite a few regulars (including myself) have text files with "Standard answers" doesn't speak well to people's ability to use a search system. The fact that half the time, I can find the answer by copy pasting the subject line into google, also speaks poorly for the regulars to "exercise" their brain power on good questions, instead see nothing but drivel.
    Has anyone else heard of "help vampires"?
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Another thought that comes to mind would be to provide a mobile-friendly interface, or perhaps add Tapatalk to the forum, if Vbulletin supports it?
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

eBookworm.us

I've learned a vast amount here and I read any thread that has an interesting problem I don't know the answer to.
    I don't like the competitive nature of Stack Overflow - there's some pompous people there - it has its place though.
    But I see the main reason as the uptake of Wordpress.
    There's an article (see the discussion page that follows the article) on the UK news site The Register (IT with an attitude) about how the middle ground of the informed amateur (or office dogsbody) is disappearing - web dev now needs either properly knowledgeable programmers .. or up to a point, a Wordpress install.
    In most ways that's a good thing but it means fewer beginners.
    Last edited by cretaceous; 04-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Has anyone else heard of "help vampires"?
    That's hilarious and poignantly sad at the same time. Perhaps the explanation for the apparent demise of the communities does indeed lie right there with the life sucked right out of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Another thought that comes to mind would be to provide a mobile-friendly interface, or perhaps add Tapatalk to the forum, if Vbulletin supports it?
    vB (newer versions --- I think this site should be included) has a pretty good Mobile Stylesheet setup; it has to be enabled in their administrative panel.

Quote Originally Posted by cretaceous View Post
    I've learned a vast amount here and I read any thread that has an interesting problem I don't know the answer to.
    I don't like the competitive nature of Stack Overflow - there's some pompous people there - it has its place though.

But I see the main reason as the uptake of Wordpress.

There's an article (see the discussion page that follows the article) on the UK news site The Register (IT with an attitude) about how the middle ground of the informed amateur (or office dogsbody) is disappearing - web dev now needs either properly knowledgeable programmers .. or up to a point, a Wordpress install.
    In most ways that's a good thing but it means fewer beginners.
    Worth thinking about, for sure. I wonder, also, if we're seeing some of the results of the F/OSS movement. Companies can obtain some pretty good software at low/no costs these days; that allows them to pay a few people to support it, but there's so little graft anymore now that we're all so altruistic about software, right?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Thread Information