IE 10 --- still not attuned to standards?

Thread: IE 10 --- still not attuned to standards?

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

IE 10 --- still not attuned to standards?

Quote Originally Posted by IE 10's F12 Developer Tools
    HTML1406: Invalid tag start: "<?". Question marks should not start tags.
    The offending code:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    I suppose that's outdated now, too?

:bleh:
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Maybe you have to serve up the file as an applicable XML mime-type before its parser does not assume it is supposed to be text/html?
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    And hope that IE10 recognises the MIME type (one of the things I suspect throttled XHTML uptake in the first place).
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

A cursory look found this. I have no idea if it's applicable. Are you declaring it on the very first line without any spaces or other characters before it?

Quote Originally Posted by W3C
    Use the encoding declaration of the XML declaration on the first line of the page. Ensure there is nothing before it, including spaces (although a byte-order mark is ok).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    From the W3C website. They also list other ways of declaring the character encoding depending on the doctype.

It doesn't surprise me in the least though if IE10 simply isn't up to snuff on standards. It's IE, after all.
    Declare variables, not war.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Maybe you have to serve up the file as an applicable XML mime-type before its parser does not assume it is supposed to be text/html?
    That's it bang on the nose, near as I can tell. Whether I'm going to take time to fix it just yet ... quite another matter.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap View Post
    A cursory look found this. I have no idea if it's applicable. Are you declaring it on the very first line without any spaces or other characters before it?
    Of course!

I had a mission to make everything I did better than my predecessor(s), who didn't seem to bother with things like Validators. Not that it's the Almighty Lord of 3W's, but ...

From the W3C website. They also list other ways of declaring the character encoding depending on the doctype.

It doesn't surprise me in the least though if IE10 simply isn't up to snuff on standards. It's IE, after all.
    Yeah; it's just as I mentioned above, editing all those templates for something fairly "trivial" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    And hope that IE10 recognises the MIME type (one of the things I suspect throttled XHTML uptake in the first place).
    Indeed, you are wise; even the GoogleMonster got in on the action.

So sad to sit by and watch "standards" leave your work in the dust of time ...

Thread Information