"Cannot modify headers information" error

Thread: "Cannot modify headers information" error

"Cannot modify headers information" error

Having thought I'd got this issue fixed and the code working nicely, I'm getting this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent ... on line 43
    My code is as follows (needless to say I can't see the problem, but I'm sure it's an obvious solution that I'm missing):

PHP Code:
    <?php

/* Subject and e-mail variables */

$emailSubject 'Request a Call';

$webMaster 'enquiries@mydomain.co.uk';

$formSuccess "http://www.mydomain.co.uk/form-success.html";

$formError "http://www.mydomain.co.uk/form-error.html";

/* Gathering data variables */

$titleField $_POST['title'];

$firstnameField $_POST['first_name'];

$surnameField $_POST['surname'];

$daytimetelField $_POST['daytime_tel'];

$eveningtelField $_POST['evening_tel'];

$marketingsourceField $_POST['marketing_source'];

$termsandconditionsField $_POST['terms_and_conditions'];

/* Anti-Spam */

if ( preg_match"/[\r\n]/"$firstnameField ) || preg_match"/[\r\n]/"$surnameField ) ) {

header"Location: $formError);
        exit ;
    }

/* Message to WebMaster */

$body = <<<EOD
    <br><hr><br>
    <b>Full Name:</b> <br>
    $titleField $firstnameField $surnameField <br><br>
    <b>Daytime Telephone:</b> <br>
    $daytimetelField <br><br>
    <b>Evening Telephone:</b> <br>
    $eveningtelField <br><br>
    <b>How did you hear about us?</b> <br>
    $marketingsourceField <br><br>
    <b>Accepts T&Cs:</b> <br>
    $termsandconditionsField <br><br>
    EOD;

$headers "Content-type: text/html\r\n";

$success mail($webMaster$emailSubject$body$headers);

/* Successful Submission Redirect */

header"Location: $formSuccess);
    exit ;

?>
    Any help would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Max
    Last edited by bradgrafelman; 05-06-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: bbcode tags modified

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    You've cut off the second most important part of the error message. PHP will tell you exactly where output began.

Also, when posting PHP code, please use the board's [php]..[/php] bbcode tags as they make your code much easier to read and analyze.

Ah sorry, here's a fuller version of the error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/[...]mysiteurl.co.uk/public_html/formprocess_request-a-call.php:1) in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/[...]mysiteurl.co.uk/public_html/formprocess_request-a-call.php on line 43
    Does that provide the information required?

Thanks for your help.

Max

Looking at "formprocess_request-a-call.php:1", I would guess that you have a blank line at the top that shouldn't be there.
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Looking at "formprocess_request-a-call.php:1", I would guess that you have a blank line at the top that shouldn't be there.
    As per the PHP coding, sadly it's not that simple. There's no space, line or anything there.

Ahh... check that you don't have a Unicode byte order mark (BOM) there. This can be done with certain editors, or by using a hex editor or hex dump.
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hi laserlight,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I must confess I'm a beginner to PHP and don't quite understand what you're suggesting or how to check. Would you be able to provide any further details for me please?

Best wishes,

Max

Update: I managed to find a few articles on BOMs and how to detect them. I've saved the files without the BOMs and so far so good! I'll let you know if I have any further problems, but thanks so much - I'd never have found the solution without you!

Max

OK that sounds like it was fairly tricky (and props to laserlight and Mad Max for working it out). Max, can you tell us what editor you were using? Also, I find it curious that PHP wouldn't know how to distinguish a BOM from actual PHP code and/or output.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Also, I find it curious that PHP wouldn't know how to distinguish a BOM from actual PHP code and/or output.
    There's no way it could: just because a file starts with \xEF\xBB\xBF doesn't mean it's a UTF-8-encoded text file (which - in a sensible world - would be a sign that it had been converted from UCS16-LE or UCS16-BE which use the Byte Order Mark to distinguish themselves from each other). Some brain-dead editors use \xEF\xBB\xBF to say "hey, this is UTF-8 encoded!" but that's not what it's for.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    There's no way it could
    Welllllll....not saying this is how things should be (and they probably shouldn't be), but it would seem that certain text editors seem to avoid putting those bytes at the beginning of one's edit window when encountering a BOM at the beginning of a text file and additionally make the assumption that the bytes that follow represent UTF-8 text (or something). While it is entirely possible that someone might make a poorly designed PHP file that starts with these bytes:
    PHP Code:
    \xEF\xBB\xBF are the bytes that represent a BOM which in some cases...
    <?php
    /**
     * some-fing-template.php
     */
    ?>
    the odds of this happening seem fairly remote. I find it difficult to imagine any other circumstances under which a PHP file would start with a BOM. I expect I'm headed for some more mind-hurting realizations thanks to Weedpacket's generous donation of know-how here.

It seems odd to me that there aren't distinct file suffixes for UTF8 text files and ISO text files and LATIN-1 text files and so on. On the other hand, from a PHP perspective, I seem to recall that the entirety of PHP's syntax is expressed in ASCII characters and therefor any byte sequences intended as UTF-8 which happen to live in a PHP file would either have to be a) output living outside the <?php ?> tags or b) somewhere in a quoted string in which case PHP would treat them as precisely the bytes that they are without any care in the world as to that they represent.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
    Max, can you tell us what editor you were using?
    I usually use Dreamweaver, but due to the wonders of 123-reg, I had recently resorted to using Notepad... which was where it all went wrong. With Dreamweaver, when you Save As, it offers a handy little tick box to say if you want BOMs included or not - that's how I fixed it.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp
    I seem to recall that the entirety of PHP's syntax is expressed in ASCII characters and therefor any byte sequences intended as UTF-8 which happen to live in a PHP file would either have to be a) output living outside the <?php ?> tags or b) somewhere in a quoted string in which case PHP would treat them as precisely the bytes that they are without any care in the world as to that they represent.
    Nope; you can have non-ASCII characters in identifiers (you can have a variable called $résumé).

a) output living outside the <?php ?> tags
    Which is exactly where the BOM - when it's present - is found.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I usually use Dreamweaver, but due to the wonders of 123-reg, I had recently resorted to using Notepad... which was where it all went wrong. With Dreamweaver, when you Save As, it offers a handy little tick box to say if you want BOMs included or not - that's how I fixed it.
    Oh man, Notepad...

Try out Komodo Edit. The best editor I've ever used. I've converted my entire office and we were a mixture of Dreamweaver, Eclipse, Notepad2, and Notepad++. No one can imagine going back.
    Declare variables, not war.

Thread Information