Is there a brain mod for avoiding deprecated function calls?

Thread: Is there a brain mod for avoiding deprecated function calls?

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

Is there a brain mod for avoiding deprecated function calls?

The other day I was typing away at some code in some file or another.

I linted it and then ran it in the browser. Although lint was fine, the browser test croaked.

A survery of the server logs produced:
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache2.2
    Fatal error: mysql_result() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /something.php on line X
    Now, one could argue that my mysqli_result() hack is partially responsible for this, but I'm gonna blame my fingers, which are connected via a complex organic control/feedback loop from my central processing wetware.

Anyone got any hints for teaching your fingers to always type the "i" after mysql?

/!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Use its object oriented interface?
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

disable the MySQL extension?
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because he’s a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    My editor of choice is Vim these days, so I'd probably augment my _vimrc with an autocmd that checks all *.php files upon writing for instances of /mysql_[a-z_]+\(/ and warns me.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    I can't think of a fail-fast method, only ones that fail at runtime (which you already have) or avoid the issue completely.

Set disable_functions in php.ini? (except this would turn that fatal error into a mere warning)

Use the PDO interface?

...or a different DBMS?
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 05-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Autocomplete.
    Declare variables, not war.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

Thanks, gents! :D

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Use its object oriented interface?
    If I'm in an OO context that would work ... and does

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    disable the MySQL extension?
    And break backwards compatibility? Sounds good, but cannot be done for reasons of keeping my job.

Quote Originally Posted by bradgrafelman View Post
    My editor of choice is Vim these days, so I'd probably augment my _vimrc with an autocmd that checks all *.php files upon writing for instances of /mysql_[a-z_]+\(/ and warns me.
    Not sure if I really have an editor of choice anymore; I've got nano, Notepad++ and NetBeans all running even now

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    I can't think of a fail-fast method, only ones that fail at runtime (which you already have) or avoid the issue completely.

Set disable_functions in php.ini? (except this would turn that fatal error into a mere warning)

Use the PDO interface?

...or a different DBMS?
    A complete abstraction layer might be nice, I suppose. Since it seems I only learn those that I write myself, though ... not gonna happen soon. Certainly not before vacation next week

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap View Post
    Autocomplete.
    Now you're just teasing me!
    Last edited by dalecosp; 05-17-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: punctuation and whitespace
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Thread Information