Down the rabbit hole.... sorry, just venting. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down the rabbit hole.... sorry, just venting.

Which reminds me, this is what I bought yesterday with a chunk of my annual bonus (which we didn't get until last Friday this year for assorted reasons):

Martin "Custom X Series" -- basically most of the stuff you love about a Martin acoustic guitar but with zero frills: absolutely no inlays or such (the bit of color around the sound hole appears to be a decal). At only(?) $500, sounds twice as good and plays at least 50% more easily than my Ovation Celebrity did at around $350. Now I'm in the process of building up my calluses again.

PS: I'm not even close to being as good a guitar player as I used to be on the trumpet -- it's just a hobby thing for my own personal entertainment.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Excellent choice, NogDog! I was also fortunate enough last year to upgrade from my old Ovation to a Martin D-28 (left handed even!). It's amazing. And of course it would make sense that you abandon the trumpet because we all know that men with guitars are more attractive to women. Apparently you don't even have to be able to play it to gain the benefits of the added attractiveness.

As for the question of whether 'tis nobler to brave the outrageous slings and arrows of the music biz or the outrageous slings and arrows of the software biz, I feel it's important to point out that I could never afford the Martin when I was actually a musician, support of record labels notwithstanding. On the other hand, the romantic options available to a musician boggle the mind. It defies all logic. I just got married 3 weeks ago, so I've got no need for that romance mojo now. I suppose one's choice depends on where one's current priorities are.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
    Excellent choice, NogDog! I was also fortunate enough last year to upgrade from my old Ovation to a Martin D-28 (left handed even!). It's amazing. And of course it would make sense that you abandon the trumpet because we all know that men with guitars are more attractive to women. Apparently you don't even have to be able to play it to gain the benefits of the added attractiveness.

As for the question of whether 'tis nobler to brave the outrageous slings and arrows of the music biz or the outrageous slings and arrows of the software biz, I feel it's important to point out that I could never afford the Martin when I was actually a musician, support of record labels notwithstanding. On the other hand, the romantic options available to a musician boggle the mind. It defies all logic. I just got married 3 weeks ago, so I've got no need for that romance mojo now. I suppose one's choice depends on where one's current priorities are.
    LOL, very interesting thoughts. No "options" for me: I'm married 25 years next Tuesday (don't expect to see me on here for at least a week and a half after Thursday, unless you're on the beach in Florida). I think my wife liked my keyboard playing, actually ... she was tired of buying "accompaniment tapes" ... but I went ahead and learned guitar to stay attractive

And the guitar ... Sweet Martin! And I understand about needing to be a programmer to buy it. Even working for myself as a "consultant" I was making barely enough to keep myself in strings and cables and such. And my MIDI rig dated from '96 until last year (it's actually still under "reconstruction").

I've been thinking to buy me a nice guitar ... OTOH, I decided to keep the butter on the hot bread: she's getting one of these for her "silver" anniversary:
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Speaking of music: after having taken piano lessons as a kid and then abandoning the instrument, I started learning to play the shakuhachi, a Japanese end-blown flute traditionally made of bamboo, late last year. Funny thing is that these Japanese instruments have Chinese origins, but none my friends from Chinese orchestra back in school played a Chinese flute, from what I can remember.
    Use Bazaar for your version control system
    Read the PHP Spellbook
    Learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    LOL, very interesting thoughts. No "options" for me: I'm married 25 years next Tuesday (don't expect to see me on here for at least a week and a half after Thursday, unless you're on the beach in Florida). I think my wife liked my keyboard playing, actually ... she was tired of buying "accompaniment tapes" ... but I went ahead and learned guitar to stay attractive
    Congratulations! Have a blended boozy drink for me.

laserlight: i googled around for some shakuhachi music. Found some really pleasant, pensive sounds.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

So, support for IE... We are still contractually required to support IE7+ (I don't know why either), however looking at analytics I notice that less than 10% use IE, and less than 1% of THOSE use <IE9.. I've been trying to make a point that almost 2/3rd of front end development is to support <IE9 and therefore we should drop support, however the powers that be seem to be extremely reluctant.

Side note: Been playing drums for 6 years now

Also, what's with all the musically inclined regular members of this forum? O_o
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    So, support for IE... We are still contractually required to support IE7+ (I don't know why either), however looking at analytics I notice that less than 10% use IE, and less than 1% of THOSE use <IE9.. I've been trying to make a point that almost 2/3rd of front end development is to support <IE9 and therefore we should drop support, however the powers that be seem to be extremely reluctant.
    That's kind of what I mean about a good case being made. So much effort to support an antiquated browser for some tiny, tiny audience. I expect there are cases where an enterprise has invested money in some kind of .NET technology that works well with IE, but it still seems silly to me to support ancient versions of IE.

Side note: Been playing drums for 6 years now
    Obviously, we need to start a band. I propose well call ourselves The Turing Tits.

Or perhaps The Gits. (q.v. git in the urban dictionary)

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
    That's kind of what I mean about a good case being made. So much effort to support an antiquated browser for some tiny, tiny audience. I expect there are cases where an enterprise has invested money in some kind of .NET technology that works well with IE, but it still seems silly to me to support ancient versions of IE.
    Well considering the company I work for is an entirely .NET company, I'm not sure what technology would "work well" with IE, since its still server-side just like PHP (at least how we use it).
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Well considering the company I work for is an entirely .NET company, I'm not sure what technology would "work well" with IE, since its still server-side just like PHP (at least how we use it).
    Unless I'm mistaken (I've very little .NET expertise), it's my understanding that the .NET development environment offers some pre-built components and/or client/server protocols so that you don't have to roll your own. That is to say they already have client-side script libraries that are easy to connect with server-side data output such that you don't have to connect all the data dots yourself. I don't recall exactly where I heard that (or whether it's even true) but the basic idea was that the .NET ide let you sort of connect data source to client-side interface elements without necessarily getting involved in the nitty gritty, so long as the client was IE of some kind.

I tried starting a metal band with a friend many moons ago with me on drums but unfortunately college got in the way. I bought the kit in August, played it quite a bit and was very happy with it, but then September came along which brought college, and the amount of time I was able to devote to the drums quickly dwindled. To make matters worse, the room that held the drum kit was next to my parents' room, and my dad was working nights, so even if I had some spare time to play I wasn't able to. I still have the drum kit but no longer live at home but instead in a basement apartment, which unfortunately isn't very conducive to playing. One day when I have my own home I would like to start playing again, whenever that happens.
    Declare variables, not war.

hmm.. seem to be on the wrong forum.
    Me, I play my electric guitar every night - man, these modelling amps are cheap and do amazing things.
    I'm still not sure if a DAW beats a Portastudio!
    The 'band' now plays together every few years - after a gap of not playing for around 20 - the wife still hates most of the sounds we make.
    Ah, almost on topic - the non-techy band member wants to get a digitiser to run on his XP PC, and I end up tech consultant.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cretaceous View Post
    the wife still hates most of the sounds we make.
    Well, I guess you could've married a musical wife ... but then you'd BOTH be starving, right? ;-)
    Ah, almost on topic - the non-techy band member wants to get a digitiser to run on his XP PC, and I end up tech consultant.
    Dang, where's the LIKE button ... we need that feature here! Admin? Admin? :P
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Thread Information