[RESOLVED] Experience with Database (MySQL) Replication?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Experience with Database (MySQL) Replication?

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

resolved [RESOLVED] Experience with Database (MySQL) Replication?

I'm looking at a need for, I believe, database replication.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysql Manual
    “Analytics - live data can be created on the master, while the analysis of the information can take place on the slave without affecting the performance of the master.”
    Which matches this business need to a "T", near as I can figure.

What I'm concerned about is the impact this will have on the "master" (which is the production web environment):

Quote Originally Posted by Mysql Manual
    Replication between servers in MySQL is based on the binary logging mechanism. The MySQL instance operating as the master (the source of the database changes) writes updates and changes as “events” to the binary log.
    Does anyone have much experience with this? MySQL is already something of a bottleneck on the production box; I'd prefer not to do anything to make it worse....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Only experience I have is a teensy bit with Postgres. I didn't notice any performance hits, but then the vast majority of our DB operations are selects, whereas I expect most replication activities are triggered by inserts/updates? It actually helped our performance a bit, as we redirected one of the heavy request sources to the slave db server, so that all those selects were split up between the master and the slave.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because he’s a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    In the same situation as NogDog, here. My guess though would be that, as the master is writing to the binlog anyway for purposes of crash recovery and the slaves are reading from that, there wouldn't be much reason for the former to suffer.

Unless of course both dbmss are on the same machine and have to fight each other for CPU cycles
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    In the same situation as NogDog, here. My guess though would be that, as the master is writing to the binlog anyway for purposes of crash recovery
    Ooh, I didn't know that.

I hope, by this point, I know better than to ask, "are you sure"? So, I might just beg for a link?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

NVM ... Google's my friend, too

Thread Information