Need a Dump Truck

Thread: Need a Dump Truck

Need a Dump Truck

More like a 5-gal. bucket.

When I do this inside a terminal shell:
    PHP Code:
    mysqldump -'root' -'gi...9' --all-databases all_db_backup.sql 
    I get a file that is measured in bytes. I've done the same on a different computer and get the same result. I have also tried to create a dump file from inside NaviCat on both machines and also get the same result.

... not sure what your problem is. Do you mean to imply that data is missing from your dump?

Yes, data is missing from the dump. The file should be several megs.

Might also be worthwhile to look at what is actually in the file, too, just in case some interesting STDOUT stuff got redirected there.
    Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be." ~ from Nation, by Terry Pratchett

"But the main reason that any programmer learning any new language thinks the new language is SO much better than the old one is because hes a better programmer now!" ~ http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/...ck_to_p_1.html

eBookworm.us

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Mysqldump dumps plain text, as you probably know, so I second NogDog ... take a look at see if it says anything. Like "your password is inconnect" or something ... perhaps your flavor uses different switches, etc.

The other part, I guess ... from a client, can you verify there is actually data in the database?

And last, doublecheck the filesize of the resulting file with more than one tool ... perhaps "du -hc dumpfile.sql" or similar?

Just some thoughts.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Also, does it work for just one database (mysqldump -u root -p pass mysql). And does root have LOCK_TABLES privileges ... (should, of course).
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

For what its worth,

If you use the short option form (-p), you cannot have a space between the option and the password.
    --Man

Also note, none of the examples on that page or anywhere I can find use quotes around the username or password.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

I know this is an old problem, but is has bitten me again. When I use dalecosp's
    mysqldump -u root -p pass mysql
    I get a whole lot of answers that are greek to me. The last line says:
    Got error: 1146: Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist when using LOCK TABLES
    I have re-installed MySQL-5.7.1-m11 twice and the table isn't created.

The calls_to_dispatch.sql file simply reads:

Code:
    /*
     Navicat Premium Data Transfer

Source Server         : KathyString
     Source Server Type    : MySQL
     Source Server Version : 50701
     Source Host           : localhost
     Source Database       : calls_to_dispatch

Target Server Type    : MySQL
     Target Server Version : 50701
     File Encoding         : utf-8

Date: 07/19/2013 10:46:47 AM
    */
    I've found a whole bunch of varying answers on the web, but they don't agree at all. What are my options? Manually create the table? Where would I put it?

As always, thanks for the help.

tim
    Last edited by timstring; 07-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Thread Information