[RESOLVED] Online Form; Plain Text, my function - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Online Form; Plain Text, my function

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Parece haver um – sapo – na minha bidé
    There are also a couple of en-dashes in there – not to be confused with hyphens…. Would those be sufficient reason to discard it?
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Someone might regard "Parece haver um – sapo – na minha bidé." to be "plain text"...
    I suppose the same could be said for "若かった時の写真その2。高校の修学旅行。場所不明" as well, but I don't think he's too worried about those fringe cases.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    There are also a couple of en-dashes in there – not to be confused with hyphens…. Would those be sufficient reason to discard it?
    IMHhumbleO, yes they're sufficient reason to discard when the purpose and use plus instructions within the form, they can write in North American English if they want to be heard or read, as the case may be. Characters with text decorations just aren't need to make one's point known, such for "resume" writing.

I take your input as food for thought, even though it doesn't change my opinions. Right now at least - one never knows, right? Besides, it's something I hadn't thought of for my 'list' of characters used or not used.

Cheers,

Rivet`

There is nothing even remotely similar to résumé, resumé, or the also misspelled 'resume' on the site. And if there were, the form 'meat' would be quite different to start with. Not relevant, really.

Quite Correct;

Quote Originally Posted by bradgrafelman View Post
    What if I'm trying to talk to you about the résumé I've prepared for a job application? Or I'd like to get your opinion on how piña coladas taste? Or what if I'm writing on behalf of my über annoyed fiancée in complaint about the naïveté of your form's input-mangler?
    Or what if I type "…" instead of "..." …?

I think the point here is that there are too many "edge cases" to effectively consider all of them in advance. The word résumé, for example, could easily find its way into your form via an autocorrect/complete feature, and then tue user's message would be dropped - through no fault of their own. The en-dashes that Weedpacket mentioned above are also quite common (and correct) in "North American English."

In order to take a "whitelist" approach, you need to know what the use case is.
    Last edited by traq; 09-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.

General Systems Vehicle "Thrilled To Be Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by traq
    Or what if I type "…" instead of "..." …?
    Rivet didn't spot that one, either

I'm not North American: "resume" is a verb, "résumé" is a noun.

Then again, "concrete" is an adjective and "concrete" is a noun.

For some reason I thought I'd posted this when I hadn't: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_...on_Cheat_Sheet and, more generally: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Data_Validation
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 09-11-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Thread Information