how to header("Expires") in php

Thread: how to header("Expires") in php

how to header("Expires") in php

Hi,

I want to ask how can I set the following in PHP with the current date to expire the page immediately?

PHP Code:
    header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT"); 

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Take a look at date(). You should be able to do that fairly easily, with a $date variable built with date() and then:

PHP Code:
    header("Expires: $my_date_var"); 
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    Quote Originally Posted by jrahma View Post
    I want to ask how can I set the following in PHP with the current date to expire the page immediately?
    If for some reason your server's time isn't accurate, or the client's time isn't accurate, using the current time might not expire the page immediately. If that's your desire, it's recommended to use a date far in the past (such as what you're already doing).

Just wondering what you mean to accomplish by "expiring" the page. I've noticed that sending an expiration date may not be enough to prevent certain types of caching.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Searching for http cache headers should give a bunch of resources on the topic. But you should also add pragma no-cache, cache-control must revalidate and cache-lifetime 0.

Thread Information