"5 reasons to Reject the Webkit Monoculture"

Thread: "5 reasons to Reject the Webkit Monoculture"

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar

"5 reasons to Reject the Webkit Monoculture"

It's from March, but I'd not read it yet:

http://www.sitepoint.com/5-reasons-t...t-monoculture/
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

I hate WebKit. I hate Blink, too, which is forked from it. The main issue I have with them is no matter which font our designer chooses, it always looks terrible on WebKit-based browsers. We're currently rebuilding our own website and we're using Lato which is available on Google Fonts. It looks great in Firefox, IE, and Opera, but the fonts are jagged and look bad on Chrome, Safari, and Opera Next (ever since it adopted Blink as its rendering engine). I've had this issue with personal projects for at least a year. From my research it has to do with anti-aliasing, but that's not something the web developer can control.

I have also noticed a weird issue with reactive websites with WebKit-based browsers that don't return elements back to their original position after resizing the window. It's very isolated and very peculiar, but I cannot reproduce the issue with non-WebKit-based browsers.

I prefer Gecko 10 times out of 10. Gecko is love. Gecko is life.

I am sure Gecko has its fair share of issues, but I have yet to run into anything major or noteworthy and Firefox is the browser I use by default since version 2.
    Declare variables, not war.

I found - much to my surprise - that both Google fonts and Webtype fonts render best in IE (eeek)
    Firefox didn't do a very nice job - micro jaggy. (I'm a confirmed FF user too)
    I do seem to have more issues with edge case html on Safari these days and I had a weird thing of Safari on Mac adding small pale grey splodges offset from a border box - but I don't use a Mac anymore so chose to ignore it.
    But with going responsive our job is never done..

Quote Originally Posted by cretaceous View Post
    Firefox didn't do a very nice job - micro jaggy. (I'm a confirmed FF user too)
    Heh that's so weird; I love looking at fonts in Firefox. IE does display them pretty well too, unless you get into the older versions like IE8/7/6.
    Declare variables, not war.

Thread Information