Can you suggest a good Win7/8 compatible script editor? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you suggest a good Win7/8 compatible script editor?

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    (Actually, I used to be halfway decent with EMACS and much preferred it over vi, but sadly, those skills have largely eroded away.)
    Assuming your LISP skills have not degraded at the same rate, you should be able to fix emacs to work like vi
    Umm, and… not sure which editor wins out on this. But you can call it vi++ if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    ed, man! man ed
    The closest equivalent would be edlin on a microsoft platform
    … it continues to be included in the 32-bit versions of current Microsoft operating systems.
    I'll +1 vi and emacs for editing and smaller scripts / projects. But personally I believe that if you are working on anything beyond the scope of a few files of a few hundred lines each, you really should get an IDE. Necessary? Definitely not. But it will save you lots of time in the long run. My current favourite is PhpStorm. Getting xdebug integration is super easy and takes no more than a few minutes at most. And it works via the web server, meaning you set the break points server side, but interface with the code through your browser.
    Other things I like are
    - data sources: define connections to your databases, and it will check identifiers in SQL strings in your php code as you type
    - jshint / jslint integration
    - includes tools to handle your git merges, conflicts, etc. If you screw up, you may still need the command line. But if you don't, you won't
    - built in code styles for psr1/psr2
    - everything Sneaky describe for his editor, but with different (and cooler!) keyboard shortcuts for the same features

+1 for PHPStorm
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

+1 for Komodo Edit, but I find version 8.0.2 to be far superior than the 8.5.x branch that has been released recently. The new versions have more features, but the code intelligence/auto-complete/hinting/whatever took a huge nosedive even though they touted it as being improved. I was the only one in my office who upgraded to the newer versions and the only one who had issues with code intelligence. We just formatted our computers and reinstalled and I made sure to put back the older version. No one else did - they all installed the new version. Now I'm the only one with proper code intelligence

I have heard good things about PHPStorm.
    Declare variables, not war.

Well I use both Komodo Edit and PHPStorm. I use PHPStorm to manage projects and such, and Komodo Edit for quick one offs and such. I like them both very much, and while I may not use both of them every single day, I certainly use both of them every week.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap View Post
    +1 for Komodo Edit, but I find version 8.0.2 to be far superior than the 8.5.x branch that has been released recently. The new versions have more features, but the code intelligence/auto-complete/hinting/whatever took a huge nosedive even though they touted it as being improved
    I have the 8.5.3 release - I haven't noticed any problems…? what sort problems did you run into?

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    Well I use both Komodo Edit and PHPStorm. I use PHPStorm to manage projects and such, and Komodo Edit for quick one offs and such. I like them both very much, and while I may not use both of them every single day, I certainly use both of them every week.
    I really like Komodo because I can do both projects and quick one offs. I've always been meaning to try PHPStorm. But a deal breaker for me: Can you customize the colour-coding of the syntax highlighting in PHPStorm?

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    I have the 8.5.3 release - I haven't noticed any problems…? what sort problems did you run into?
    In all versions prior to 8.5.x, the code intelligence worked nearly flawlessly. I'd say ~95% of the time. Start typing a function, and the list appears. Open the bracket, and the PHPDocs appear, showing you everything you need to know about the function (or class, etc.). Ctrl-left click on something and it opens the file and brings you to the definition. You get the idea. The drop-down list, suggestions, etc. worked great and one of the things that attracted me to Komodo in the beginning.

Then 8.5.0 was released. One of the things they boasted was that the code intelligence was being moved to its own process, so it should be even faster/better. Great! Except now all the things I listed above don't work 99% of the time. If you start writing a function for example, it will sometimes list the built-in PHP functions, but will never list my user-defined functions. And I work with WordPress 95% of the time at work (inb4wordpresshate) so there are hundreds of user-defined functions that my daily work life depends on. So now all the functions and classes that I expect to appear, don't. No code intelligence of any kind. It will sometimes work on the very first time (like when I open the project, open a file, and let it do its initial scan).

I keep the project file in the base directory, made sure it's traversing enough subfolders for the code intelligence (even though that was never a problem before), etc. but nothing makes it work. It just doesn't work anymore. And it's not just my set up. My coworkers are running into the same problems. If I create my own personal website with my own codebase, it seems to work okay. I guess WordPress's codebase is just too big? I don't know.

I'm not the only one either:

http://bugs.activestate.com/show_bug.cgi?id=100415

http://bugs.activestate.com/show_bug.cgi?id=101185

First link is a user experiencing the issue after upgrading. Apparently uninstalling and reinstalling completely should fix it. The user never really responds, but I can attest (that for me at least) it doesn't.

The second link is a user experiencing the issues in the 8.5.x branch with CodeIgniter. It seemed to be solved with a simple checkbox (though it is a little ambiguous), but I have checked a thousand times that that checkbox is checked (it is by default anyway). I've been through every menu, every setting. Every day now I have to cancel the update dialog that comes up. I've been doing that at home (I do enough WordPress work at home that it will be very detrimental) as well.

I don't know. It just stopped working for me after 8.0.2. Maybe I am just cursed.

Oh, and it's not just PHP. Same issues with CSS and JavaScript as well. I think there were some problems with HTML attributes but I don't remember. I'm loving the old version too much to remember.

/endrant

Hmm. I don't have those problems. (Once in a while, I do experience a quirk where, if there is an autocomplete menu up, and I use [backspace], it disappears and won't return unless I delete the entire word and start over. But this doesn't happen all the time. And sometimes, it waits until I type the comma in a function arg list before showing the function summary.)

The bugs you pointed to are for 8.5.0 and 8.5.2. I skipped both of those when I got the IDE, and went straight to 8.5.3. Maybe the problems were fixed in that time. What version were your problems with (your post above seems to imply 8.5.0)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap
    ]If I create my own personal website with my own codebase, it seems to work okay. I guess WordPress's codebase is just too big? I don't know.
    Probably a dumb question, but do you have a local copy of WP, and did you point Komodo to it?

Hmm. I don't have those problems. (Once in a while, I do experience a quirk where, if there is an autocomplete menu up, and I use [backspace], it disappears and won't return unless I delete the entire word and start over. But this doesn't happen all the time. And sometimes, it waits until I type the comma in a function arg list before showing the function summary.)
    Yeah I've experienced weird quirks like that as well even in 8.0.2. I just kinda ignore them and move on. It doesn't happen often like you said.

The bugs you pointed to are for 8.5.0 and 8.5.2. I skipped both of those when I got the IDE, and went straight to 8.5.3. Maybe the problems were fixed in that time. What version were your problems with (your post above seems to imply 8.5.0)?
    I get this behaviour in all versions 8.5.0+. I am running Komodo Edit, though, but still, I would think (and hope) that it shouldn't make a difference as I am sure they share a huge codebase.

Probably a dumb question, but do you have a local copy of WP, and did you point Komodo to it?
    I am not sure what you mean by "pointing" Komodo to it. All our PHP files (and other web files) are located on our server which is on our local network. We just map its drive and use that. The project file is also kept there. So Komodo isn't local to the project or files, but we've used this setup since version 6.1.something of Komodo without issue. At home everything is local, but I haven't upgraded past 8.0.2.

I really like Komodo because I can do both projects and quick one offs. I've always been meaning to try PHPStorm. But a deal breaker for me: Can you customize the colour-coding of the syntax highlighting in PHPStorm?
    Why yes, yes you can.

I am not sure what you mean by "pointing" Komodo to it...
    Go to Edit -> Preferences
    Under "Categories", click Languages -> PHP

Under the "PHP Directories" section, click on the [+] and browse to add any directory (e.g., the directory where your WP is installed) you want code intel to scan.
    (There's also options for specifying which PHP install to use (if you have more than one), and if you want to use a php.ini file.)

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    Why yes, yes you can.
    Hmmm, maybe I'll take a look.

Go to Edit -> Preferences
    Under "Categories", click Languages -> PHP

Under the "PHP Directories" section, click on the [+] and browse to add any directory (e.g., the directory where your WP is installed) you want code intel to scan.
    (There's also options for specifying which PHP install to use (if you have more than one), and if you want to use a php.ini file.)
    Ah, I know what you mean now. To be honest I can't remember if I have tried doing that or not in the past, though it does sound familiar so maybe. If I did then I don't think it helped, but in any case that would work with a default WordPress install but we tend to do lots of custom stuff (functions, classes, plugins, etc.) that are specific to that particular project, and I need those scanned in.

I might set up a virtual machine at home and do some testing between the versions and see if I can figure something out.

we tend to do lots of custom stuff (functions, classes, plugins, etc.) that are specific to that particular project, and I need those scanned in.
    You could always add the custom WP directory too.

Well, hope it works out. Good luck!

Ok, sorry for not responding - super busy. But you do this by going to settings -> editor -> colors & fonts from there you can select a theme (many pre-installed come with it). YOu can then customize the theme if you want. There are also many more themes available online. I found a good dark theme with a quick google search.

Thread Information