how to paginate like linkedin and facebook?

Thread: how to paginate like linkedin and facebook?

how to paginate like linkedin and facebook?

Hi,

I want to know how to paginate like linkedin and facebook so it will list more rows when the user scrolls down?

also, What do you call this type of pagination?

Thanks
    Jassim

google "php ajax scroll pagination".. that should return some tutorials to get you started.
    Bob Lob Law

Pna lbh ernq guvf¿
    While I've never actually implemented the behavior described above, I did happen to do a bit of Google'ing (more on that below).

Quote Originally Posted by jrahma View Post
    I want to know how to paginate like linkedin and facebook so it will list more rows when the user scrolls down?
    The great thing about client-side scripting is... it's client-side. In other words, if you want to know how a particular website did something... just go to that website and take a gander at the source code. Any modern browser (Chrome is my weapon of choice) will have a DOM inspector and hopefully other useful tools such as a Javascript debugger (complete with breakpoints, watch expressions, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by jrahma View Post
    I suspect I'd still just call it "pagination." That's all it is, in the end; you're navigating through small chunks of an entire result set. The only difference is how you do the navigation; rather than a "Next" button and/or a hyperlinked list of pages, it's the user's scrolling to a certain point on the page that triggers the same action as clicking a "Next" button.

The brief bit of Google'ing I did turned up two possible methods to achieve this scrolling behavior:
    1. Something akin to jQuery Waypoints
    2. Using your own custom "onscroll" event to estimate when the scrolled position is near the "bottom" of the page (seemed error-prone and/or harder to make cross-platform compatible).

Quote Originally Posted by jrahma
    This is usually called infinite scrolling, and can be found by googling for it that way.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Thread Information