router died again, considering ASUS router

Thread: router died again, considering ASUS router

router died again, considering ASUS router

I'm looking for opinions here, ideally with brief supporting anecdotes.

ASUS RT-N16 router died for the second time in 5 years. They are cheap, though. A replacement could be had for $83. Given the failure rate so far, I'm leaning against this.

I'm considering an ASUS AC66U or AC68U and wondering if the AC68U is worth the extra $50 or so.

I'm also considering DD-WRT, with which I am familiar, or TomatoUSB/Shibby which is reputed to have better performance on 5Ghz bands. I value security the most, with performance and ease of use tied for second.

Any thoughts?
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Is this SOHO or a business/commercial installation? I've had good luck with D-Link, Linksys, and NetGear in SOHO environments. Although I did have a problem with a Linksys and a Toshiba Cable Modem I wrote about several years back....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Is this SOHO or a business/commercial installation? I've had good luck with D-Link, Linksys, and NetGear in SOHO environments. Although I did have a problem with a Linksys and a Toshiba Cable Modem I wrote about several years back....
    http://www.daleco.biz/articles/routed2.html

Probably not relevant these days
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Sorry to have neglected this post, dalecosp. I ended up getting the ASUS AC66U and installing dd-wrt firmware on it. I'm a big fan of dd-wrt. Connections are reliable and stable in my experience (knock on wood) and the thing runs for months without needing to reboot. The firmware also offers service routing to various machines, allocation of IP addresses based on MAC address, QoS settings, dynamic DNS configuration, etc., etc, etc.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Thread Information