Today I learned - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Today I learned

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Nice ... linkage, or explanation?

Edit: Nvm ... Linux has flock(1). Funny, BSD only has flock(2).
    Mostly a copy/edit from some search result, so take OS/shell intercompatibility with a grain of salt. Working fine for me in Centos Linux with Bash shell.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

I discovered sshfs a couple days ago. I'll never use Samba again. SSH should be one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
    Declare variables, not war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap View Post
    I discovered sshfs a couple days ago. I'll never use Samba again. SSH should be one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
    Oh god, I forgot about samba! So glad that's not something I use any more :P I also don't even have a single FTP program installed anywhere.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnap View Post
    I don't use it as a habit, but my Let's Encrypt scripts mount and unmount DOCROOTs for several domains all to the same machine for the purposes of host verification during the certificate renewal process. Nice stuff. I'd seen it several years ago but hadn't any need for it until recently. Is anyone making any creative use of it? I'd be scared to death to have production box DOCROOTs mounted anywhere on our LAN ... too many people doing dumb things at random times (even me on occasion ) for that to feel nice for me.

Oh, and it's nothing they weren't doing with rsh/rcp/rlogin/nfs, unencrypted, back in the 80s... but that's OK. I like sshfs a lot too.
    Last edited by dalecosp; 04-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Today I learned sometimes you just can't help some people

You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Today I learned Scottish people should not be left alone with pugs
    You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Today I learned Apple uses a system called points

1 point = 2px

For reasons...
    Blog

Six month project

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Today I learned Apple uses a system called points

1 point = 2px

For reasons...
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    I like to grumble, I'm good at it. passes time as I write this JQM report
    Blog

Six month project

If you're really bored you could even read the link.

"I'm not Scottish, I'm cross."

Fun fact (I already knew this, so it's not a case of TIL): CSS defines the "pixel" as an angle: 77arcsec.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    "I'm not Scottish, I'm cross."
    Ha!

Today I learned this day is called Wednesday, I went to class to find out it really is Wednesday. Who knew if you went to college you could learn stuff? (yes my class is on Thursday not today)
    Blog

Six month project

Thread Information