Today I learned - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Today I learned

Today I learned that PostgreSQL has a (non-standard) ILIKE operator, which is...umm...like LIKE, except case-insensitive. This allowed me to do...
    Code:
    WHERE foo ILIKE :foo
    ...instead of...
    Code:
    WHERE LOWER(foo) = LOWER(:foo)
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Today I learned how to apply for things I most likely shouldn't apply for

I also learned I'm not the only one with a problem with one of my lecturers, he has one star on

http://uk.ratemyteachers.com

Last edited by cluelessPHP; Yesterday at 11:55 AM.
    You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Today I learned that there's no sense debugging internet issues in your vm, if your laptop isn't even on the internet. Wasted 2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my VM lol.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    Today I learned that there's no sense debugging internet issues in your vm, if your laptop isn't even on the internet. Wasted 2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my VM lol.
    Lol sounds like me, I just spent half an hour trying to figure out why my css wasn't working then looked at the file path and...you get the rest
    You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Lol sounds like me, I just spent half an hour trying to figure out why my css wasn't working then looked at the file path and...you get the rest
    Well, we did have a thread about "the last time you went: DOH!" ...

And I think it happens to many of us. I'm particularly glad to hear that Dero has those moments because of late he's been seeming pretty invincible.

Last night I learned that a Windows Network share isn't necessarily accessible just because it says it is.

No, wait, I knew that already, but had been blessed to have forgotten it, I think

Here's a question that nags me a bit: during what part of the day are you sharpest? Or conversely, which part of your day is more error-prone? I think I do my best work early...
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Well, we did have a thread about
    Here's a question that nags me a bit: during what part of the day are you sharpest? Or conversely, which part of your day is more error-prone? I think I do my best work early...
    Personally for me although still learning so I most likely see more syntax errors than the rest of you, it's completely random, as a few have most likely picked up, when I'm posting on here it's because I've gotten tired and fed up for the day.
    Blog

Six month project

I'm particularly glad to hear that Dero has those moments because of late he's been seeming pretty invincible.
    Not by a long shot LOL, I have many of those moments! I just don't post here for help, because I feel like I need to spend 20 paragraphs explaining the problem.

I do my best work from 7am - 11am, whence I take lunch. Then 12 - 2 is my worst hours then I do good work until 5
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Personally for me although still learning so I most likely see more syntax errors than the rest of you, it's completely random, as a few have most likely picked up, when I'm posting on here it's because I've gotten tired and fed up for the day.
    The last stand alone script I worked on, had more than a dozen syntax errors when it went to test! Though, the reason was because the test server was running 5.3 and my dev and prod server are on 7.1 LOL SOO many stupid issues from that, took me forever to realize the server was just misconfigured.

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Not by a long shot LOL, I have many of those moments! I just don't post here for help, because I feel like I need to spend 20 paragraphs explaining the problem.

I do my best work from 7am - 11am, whence I take lunch. Then 12 - 2 is my worst hours then I do good work until 5
    Sounds familiar, although I'm 8-12 and zone out especially if I'm not careful about what I eat ... a light lunch and some light exercise is nice ... if I go BBQ or Burger joint (which is too often, it seems, esp. in the winter) I feel pretty foggy for a while after lunch. And you're doing 9/10 hour days?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Lol I just upgraded my easyphp to the latest version.

Today I learnt this bus will not take me home after nightshift, I may or may not be lost at this point
    Blog

Six month project

Sounds familiar, although I'm 8-12 and zone out especially if I'm not careful about what I eat ... a light lunch and some light exercise is nice ... if I go BBQ or Burger joint (which is too often, it seems, esp. in the winter) I feel pretty foggy for a while after lunch. And you're doing 9/10 hour days?
    No, I'm doing 8 hours days, but because of the little tiny puppy I'm currently stretching my hours since I need to take him out every hour or two and such. Basically, I'm afk often enough to justify spending a little extra time. Once he's older, I'll go back to 7-4 with an hour lunch (or 8 hours of working)

Thread Information