PHP Developer (Remote Full-Time Position) - U.S.A Candidates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP Developer (Remote Full-Time Position) - U.S.A Candidates

PHP Developer (Remote Full-Time Position) - U.S.A Candidates

Bitfocus, Inc.
    Headquarters: Las Vegas, NV

Important - Candidates Must Be Located In The U.S.A

Submit Resume https://bitfocus.com/careers

Looking for a fresh talent to join our friendly team of Bitfocus, Inc. professionals as a Senior PHP Developer.

This position offers you the opportunity to bring your development skills to a friendly an innovative company delivering cutting-edge Client Management Systems for Social and Human Services and related reporting systems to local government agencies around the country. You'll work as a critical member of a collaborative team in various regions. The ideal candidate will have solid 5-10 years PHP experience, working with remote teams spread across various time zones.

Benefits:
    • Full-time employment (40 hrs a week)
    • Remote Work (requires a quiet home office environment)
    • Apple iMac computer and VoIP phone provided for your home office
    • Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plans, Paid Time Off, Holidays

Qualifications:
    A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field 6+ Years of experience as a Senior PHP Developer

• 5+ years of solid programming experience using PHP
    • 5+ years of experience with Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and MVC Frameworks
    • 5+ years of experience with databases, such as MySQL, MariaDB
    • 3+ years of experience working in an Agile environment with formal Sprint cycles
    • 3+ years of experience with web services, such as REST, SOAP, AJAX, etc.
    • 1+ years of experience with Yii2 Framework highly desired
    • Experience developing in a Linux environment is a requirement

What you'll do:
    • Develop PHP based software applications
    • Create Statements of Work for proposed functionality
    • Document and model features and functions
    • Peer review other development staff projects
    • Document and share knowledge of frameworks, libraries, and classes developed

What we’d love you to bring:
    • Experience working within a HMIS or HIPPA compliant company environment
    • Experience with report generation using Looker & Pentaho 5.X
    • Knowledge and skill programming in other languages such as C/C++, ASP.NET, Node.js & Java, Angular
    • Day-to-day use working use of JIRA & Confluence is a plus.
    • Experience with any of the following: Nagios, VMWare, Chef, Puppet, Jenkins, Razor, AWS
    • Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and NoSQL such as MongoDB
    • Preparation of XML & CSV-formatted files for HMIS data transfer between various systems
    • IOS / Iphone application development

Software Skills Required:
    • Git / Github / Bitbucket
    • Atlassian Product (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)

Skills Required:
    • Knowledge of PHP MVC Web Frameworks (Yii2, Zend, Laravel, etc)
    • Ability to juggle multiple development projects and tasks and perform bug fixes when they arise
    • Working in a team development setting, using Bitbucket (versioning, branching, merging, etc.)
    • Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently in-office or remote from home
    • Create and maintain database schemas to support business processes
    • Ability to learn and develop an understanding of Bitfocus business processes and applications
    • Highly motivated individual with a focus on writing clean, well-tested, and scalable code
    • Experience creating requirements, use cases, functional specifications preferred
    • Strong communication skills including ability to write SOW for coding projects
    • An ability to effectively work and collaborate with others either remotely or an office environment
    • Proven ability to build efficient, testable, and reusable PHP modules
    • Experience in common third-party APIs (Google, AWS, OAUTH)
    • Passion for best design and coding practices and a desire to develop new bold ideas.
    • Understand networking protocols including HTTP, FTP, SCP, SFTP, TCP, and UDP

Legal Requirements:
    • Must be able to pass a criminal history background check
    • Must be authorized to legally work in the U.S.

Education:
    A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
    6+ Years of experience as a Senior PHP Developer can be substituted in place of a degree

Legal Requirements:
    • Must be able to pass a criminal history background check
    • Must be authorized to legally work in the U.S.

Compensation/Benefits:
    • Compensation $50,000 - $70,000 DOE
    • Full-time employment (40 hrs a week)

Submit Resume https://bitfocus.com/careers

ABOUT BITFOCUS, INC.

Founded in 2003, Bitfocus, Inc. is changing the way communities nationwide integrate software, systems, data, and policy to innovate and strengthen the nation's social safety net. We develop software and administer data systems that affect and change lives, connecting our most vulnerable populations to the most effective resources available in their communities. Our products empower organizations and communities to better leverage their resources, helping them to become data driven in their efforts in all areas of health, human, and social services.

If you apply, send me a PM and I will put in a good word for you (assuming you're a regular). I work here, it's a good company with good people.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    If you apply, send me a PM and I will put in a good word for you (assuming you're a regular). I work here, it's a good company with good people.
    I suspect only a few of the regulars meet the requirements, I.E Nogdog, Weedpacket, maxxd ect.
    You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    I suspect only a few of the regulars meet the requirements, I.E Nogdog, Weedpacket, maxxd ect.
    They always ask for all the things, then settle for as much as they can get.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Not me:
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Not me:
    You can move here -- unless we decide to ban travel from all the things.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    They always ask for all the things, then settle for as much as they can get.
    Pfft last time I spoke to a company about a junior position in web development they asked me if I knew C and C++ , I said I'd never touched it, they said they couldn't offer me anything
    You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
    Blog

Six month project

Not me:
    That threw me a bit
    Blog

Six month project

Pfft last time I spoke to a company about a junior position in web development they asked me if I knew C and C++ , I said I'd never touched it, they said they couldn't offer me anything
    I haven't seen the "settling" part. I've seen them ask for the love child of Donald Knuth and Steve Jobs with a cherry on top (and not just any cherry - it has to be Ranier) and reject anyone not so decorated. Then complain in the media about the shortage of skilled developers.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Then complain in the media about the shortage of skilled developers.
    When they themselves can't instantiate a Hello World class in Java, PHP, C++, D without a "howto guide". Certainly not in all cases, but there's a boatload of arrogance out there in executive offices fueled by private eq^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmy teaching pension instead of any actual ability to make true profit in business...
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    When they themselves can't instantiate a Hello World class in Java, PHP, C++, D without a "howto guide". Certainly not in all cases, but there's a boatload of arrogance out there in executive offices fueled by private eq^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmy teaching pension instead of any actual ability to make true profit in business...
    To give you some context of what we were "taught" were I study in years one and two,

HTML
    Basic HTML i.e use
    HTML Code:
    <div id="example"></div>
    absolutley no HTML5
    CSS
    CSS basics i.e float left and right ect. no css3
    PHP
    How to connect to a database and login ect. using MySQL, no mention of security, no mention of PDO, no mention of OOP hell it was year three before we they mentioned PDO and even at that said "don't worry about OOP just now" hell the little OOP I do know is from you guys, I'm sitting with the manual now
    JavaScript
    No mention of manipulating the DOM, advised to debug via using alerts...yes alerts not console.log
    Action script 3
    Yes...really
    XML
    Full credit to the lecturer on this one he knew his stuff and was always there to point tutorials out to us, easily the best lecturer in the place, we got him for PHP in year three
    SQL
    Another great lecturer who was unfortunately now retired but was helpful
    jQuery
    I taught as a legitimate language not for what it is just a JavaScript library
    Business admin
    How to make a gantt chart, useful I guess??
    Sales
    Basically business class show horned in
    Photoshop
    Make pretty pictures...ooooo
    Personal development planning
    No not really about personal growth it might as well have been a bloody home economics class at times...I **** you not
    Sound and vision
    Learn about all type of compression in audio and video, sizes ect.

Also what is "D" I'll google it but never heard of it, I was aware of R although never used it.

You lot tell me is that really the skill set for anything really? Personally I'd say I've improved sometimes simply by reading your throw away comments but even at that still no where near good enough for a junior position
    Blog

Six month project

To give you some context of what we were "taught" were I study in years one and two,

HTML
    Basic HTML i.e use
    HTML Code:
    <div id="example"></div>
    absolutley no HTML5
    CSS
    CSS basics i.e float left and right ect. no css3
    PHP
    How to connect to a database and login ect. using MySQL, no mention of security, no mention of PDO, no mention of OOP hell it was year three before we they mentioned PDO and even at that said "don't worry about OOP just now" hell the little OOP I do know is from you guys, I'm sitting with the manual now
    JavaScript
    No mention of manipulating the DOM, advised to debug via using alerts...yes alerts not console.log
    Action script 3
    Yes...really
    XML
    Full credit to the lecturer on this one he knew his stuff and was always there to point tutorials out to us, easily the best lecturer in the place, we got him for PHP in year three
    SQL
    Another great lecturer who was unfortunately now retired but was helpful
    jQuery
    I taught as a legitimate language not for what it is just a JavaScript library
    Business admin
    How to make a gantt chart, useful I guess??
    Sales
    Basically business class show horned in
    Photoshop
    Make pretty pictures...ooooo
    Personal development planning
    No not really about personal growth it might as well have been a bloody home economics class at times...I **** you not
    Sound and vision
    Learn about all type of compression in audio and video, sizes ect.

Also what is "D" I'll google it but never heard of it, I was aware of R although never used it.

You lot tell me is that really the skill set for anything really? Personally I'd say I've improved sometimes simply by reading your throw away comments but even at that still no where near good enough for a junior position
    If you can write "basic" HTML you're ahead of everyone in my office except me. Throw in PHP, SQL and jQuery and you'd be #2 on the development team for sure. Now, granted, there are some people here who can do SQL and HTML with coaching and oversight, but I'm very nervous to give them permissions on $SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] for any property we have. Add to this the fact that they can hardly pay me enough ("bonuses", a key carrot they threw me in negotiations, haven't happened here since 2012), so there's no #2 developer on the horizon, I'm afraid, not to mention they're a tad thick on working remotely (I'm technically allowed one day of five at home but don't take it quite that often).

As for "D", I don't know if it'll take off, but I've found what I've learned so far to be interesting. It's too bad I guess that schools move at institutional speeds, but as a former teacher I understand somewhat ... it would take a lot of effort to move your curriculum guides/syllabi forward as fast as the pace of modern development. That said, no OOP is a crime/sin. It's been around long enough that it should be taught in some way. If you learned jQuery you already have OOP experience, but not "PHP OOP" experience, which is a slightly different flavor.

Keeping up ... it's a conundrum for those of us in the professional world, too ... how do I keep up with new stuff and still do the original stuff they hired me to do?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    If you can write "basic" HTML you're ahead of everyone in my office except me. Throw in PHP, SQL and jQuery and you'd be #2 on the development team for sure. Now, granted, there are some people here who can do SQL and HTML with coaching and oversight, but I'm very nervous to give them permissions on $SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] for any property we have. Add to this the fact that they can hardly pay me enough ("bonuses", a key carrot they threw me in negotiations, haven't happened here since 2012), so there's no #2 developer on the horizon, I'm afraid, not to mention they're a tad thick on working remotely (I'm technically allowed one day of five at home but don't take it quite that often).
    Sounds like you should be applying to my company.
    Sadly, nobody codes for anyone on this forum. People taste your dishes and tell you what is missing, but they don't cook for you. ~anoopmail
    I'd rather be a comma, then a full stop.
    User Authentication in PHP with MySQLi - Don't forget to mark threads resolved - MySQL(i) warning

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    Sounds like you should be applying to my company.
    Well, thanks ...

I've considered it and would like to, actually, but I'm a tad gun shy --- I don't know if I'm a great fit, or even when I'm going to have time to update the online resume or do anything else. An 8-9 hour day (without the extra ~2 hours to commute to/from the office) would be really nice, and the salary would probably be a good upgrade for us.

I know my brother has advised me to get a new position and my wife would like to have me working from home (she works away from the house 3 days/week, so I wouldn't be distracted except maybe Monday and Friday, and I *think* she could keep herself busy with plenty of other projects during work hours)

And then there's the "all the things" requirements. I've got 6+ years here, plus the consultancy and "web work" I did in the 00's in PHP/JS, but I'm kind of afraid I'd be seen as a "cowboy" as I've not worked with much in the way of MVC, MariaDB, Looker, Pentaho, Chef/Puppet/Jenkins/Razor, AWS, etc. OR *teams* (actually, I've really longed to have someone with some understanding of code respond to me in the company bug tracker ....)

I've had a brief intro to Swift (iOS) but would be a total noob at it (we've done all the mobile work here in HTML/JS), and I use VirtualBox instead of VMWare (although I'm on their mailing list), Mantis instead of JIRA, and Git without Github or Bitbucket (although I do have a Github account). I haven't done much OAUTH; I do have experience with a couple Google API's and some FaceBook API stuff also.

I can write English and SOW and stuff like nobody's business, but that's a skill anyone with a degree and a GPA of 2.75+ ought to be able to do (mine was 3.5+, so no issues there).

Just kind of seems that for everything you want, I'm just a few inches off the mark.

I noted that actually you have several IT openings. Is this due to expansion, or was there a mass exodus? Is the company well-established and liable to be there for many years, in your opinion?
    Last edited by dalecosp; 02-16-2017 at 12:29 PM.

I was pretty interested until I read that I had to live in the US. Unfortunately I am from the great white north.

I've been working from home since the new year (worked out a deal with my boss) and I've been loving it. My productivity has skyrocketed and the client loves it. Plus it's silent here, whereas in the office it sounds like a zoo. I'm not sure I could go back if this deal fizzles out.

Good luck with the applications!
    Declare variables, not war.

Thread Information