laravel migrations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laravel migrations

Quote Originally Posted by Derokorian View Post
    Also, I feel like you're starting to get the feeling I had when using Laravel that made me hate it.
    Does it show? Feel free to vent on your own feelings. It's always good to have anecdotal sound bites in the inevitable flame war I'll eventually have with some zealot.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    For a bit of counter-argument, I will say this: those people I know who have more or less mastered Laravel or Rails can be very productive with it. Need a new table in your database with a many-to-one relationship to an existing one? Create a new migration (or rollback and edit an existing one) with a few lines of code, and in a minute or two, they have a new table. Use one command line entry to create the model. Add a few lines of code to create the has-many relationship, and the model is basically done. However, learning it is not necessarily easy/quick.
    I'm only just beginning to get my head around migrations, so I can't quite imagine the circumstances where the rollback/migrate back-and-forth could be very helpful but I think I know what you mean. I'm picturing benefits a bit like how non-destructive/non-linear editing has helped with audio recording. I think the laravel heart is in the right place, if that makes any sense.

So far, migrations seem possibly great for teams, except for the buggy bits with the tools. It also seems handy if one has to frequently shift one's project from one DBMS to another. For an individual (or pair of guys), it seems like a pointless chore that doubles the amount of work for no good reason. I don't recall ever having any trouble creating a new table with many-to-one relationship using good old-fashioned phpMyAdmin -- although I'm not in the habit of defining foreign key relationships. I do recall having my local copy of a site broken because I lack recent db changes made by someone else. This seems very helpful for that kind of thing.
    IMPORTANT: STOP using the mysql extension. Use mysqli or pdo instead.
    World War One happened 100 years ago. Visit Old Grey Horror for the agony and irony.

Thread Information