Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
Your framework may be amazing. I would point out that your framework is not third-party software. You wrote it yourself.
I said YOU can pull my projects, to you they are third-party

Perhaps you decided you didn't like the third party software options. Hm? I'll ask you your own question:
I wrote my own because I wanted to see if I could build something, using it in multiple projects and be successful. I also know a couple people who have used it for quick hit set ups. Since then, I've worked on it more whenever I get annoyed at something in Laravel, Yii or whatever else I'm stuck using.

Laravel is quite popular and I presume satisfies those conditions. Still, I can't say I trust it fully but I'm not prepared to sulk away and start writing assembler.
I don't trust laravel because I dislike Taylor Otwell and the way he speaks of other developers and his general attitude. I dislike the creator, on top of that as it turns out, I dislike using the framework itself.

That's not a practical choice when there's rent to be paid.
Agreed! My fw hasn't ever brought me income, hence I'm not motivated to make it so highly configurable it will work for everyone's needs. It works for my needs when doing something quick, because I'm managed to make it so there are very few files to manage, and few lines of code required for decent functionality. I wouldn't ever attempt to use it for like a high end application.

I'm actually planning on removing the template system, putting it in a separate library. Reason being nothing I've made recently has used the templating, because I usually build an SPA front-end and RESTful backend.

So I'm not allowed to make changes in the vendor folder? Bummer. My entry point is NOT in the vendor folder -- but it is also not a file that I've written myself at least not in CodeIgniter and Laravel. The latest commit to Laravel's index.php was 2 days ago.
And how does that change on its own? Honest question, because I never noticed changes to my public folder when I used Laravel or CI, but I might not have paid attention.

I didn't choose to make Laravel so popular. I would destroy it if I could.
Me too buddy, me too.

One cannot always choose the framework used in one's projects. One can also complain about the practical implications of certain coding practices and the real-world manifestations of their shortcomings.
Agreed, <insert rant about Yii2 here, the framework I'm currently using>

I'm not sure it represents a large amount of bloat but it does inflate your code somewhat. If everyone used a custom prefix instead of use/namespace commands, it would impact 32818 lines of code (about 5%) in the laravel vendor folder. You could completely remove the use (7222 lines) and namespace (3865) lines, which represent about 1.7% of all the code. Your classnames might grow a few chars longer.
But your class name would be longer at every use site, whereas now most commonly the namespace for a class is only used once for the whole file. On top of that, lots of people are starting to use group use statements, meaning the entire namespace for multiple classes is only specified once for the whole file. How does that factor in?

I'll be honest, I don't even know how I would figure out that tradeoff. Its entirely possible that although the use statements and namespace definitions take space, it may arguably be less space than saying Vendor_Package_Class all over the file. Or it may be so miniscule that it's better to use the long names. I tend to think composition is easier to read with the short names versus the long names.