New Camera
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera

New Camera

Finally convinced myself to buy a DSLR. (Last serious camera I had used film.) Ended up buying a refurbished Nikon D3400 with 2 lenses: 18-55mm and 70-300mm. I'm still pretty clumsy at remembering which buttons to use to do which thing, but have managed to grab a few nice photos along with the mistakes.

"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Nice work! Bet that Martin plays purty ....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Nice work! Bet that Martin plays purty ....
    It's their made in Mexico model that I could actually afford -- especially since my skill level doesn't warrant anything better. But it does sound pretty nice.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog

Kind of like this one...

And without the zoom lens, but adding a gradient filter to balance the sky a bit...

Last edited by NogDog; 06-22-2017 at 11:08 PM.

My Blog

Pictures look nice, although is that water.... Flowing?
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Blog

Six month project

It's actually tidal: flows out more than in, but definitely goes both ways.

My theory is that the name "Meadowlands" was colonial realtor-speak for "marshland".

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    It's actually tidal: flows out more than in, but definitely goes both ways.

My theory is that the name "Meadowlands" was colonial realtor-speak for "marshland".
    Could be, with a bunch of accents mixed together it would make sense.

Some of those houses wouldn't look out of place here
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Blog

Six month project

I love the vibrant colors in this one, and I didn't edit it at all, other than to crop it a bit.

My Blog

I thought this one came out pretty nice...

...and this was last night's sunset.

My Blog

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Nice shots! The duck in particular is fascinating with the reflection ....
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Took a lot of tries to get a photo of this little guy that was in focus and not motion-blurred -- and it's only half of him/her (a Yellow Warbler, I believe).

My Blog

Seems nice and bright, photoshop the colour?
    Blog

Six month project

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Seems nice and bright, photoshop the colour?
    Nope, just cropped it. (Maybe adjusted exposure a bit, but as I recall, those colors were nice and vivid straight out of the camera.

My Blog

Will you take pictures of the eclipse tonight?..or today from your point of view
    Blog

Six month project

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Will you take pictures of the eclipse tonight?..or today from your point of view
    Nope: we got a tad under 75% coverage here in NJ, so nothing all that exciting, but interesting (it was noticeably dimmer that you would expect for the partially cloudy skies). I had no desire to risk the sensor on my camera, but I did get this indirect view via my phone camera and a pair of binoculars I keep at my desk for watching wildlife:

My Blog

Thread Information