[RESOLVED] What happens when using a 'tiny int' id data type in phpMyAdmin? Plz help!

Thread: [RESOLVED] What happens when using a 'tiny int' id data type in phpMyAdmin? Plz help!

resolved [RESOLVED] What happens when using a 'tiny int' id data type in phpMyAdmin? Plz help!

Hi guys.

I am just curious about the limitations of different INT data types in phpMyAdmin.

I use phpMyAdmin to store databases and tables.

And obviously, when working within a table I will usually create an 'id' column and set it to an INT data type and 'auto increment'.

The thing is, in the book I have been learning php from, the author set the 'id' field as a 'SMALL INT'.

I have recently built a reviews application for a client of mine.... so his customers can leave testimonials on his website.

And when someone leaves a review, it inserts a row inside a table on the database.

And I have set an 'id' field and made it a 'SMALL INT' auto increment (inside this table I am refering to).

What I want to know is,,, once this 'SMALL INT' data type reaches it's limit, what will happen???

Will my clients application just simply stop working once a certain number of rows have been inserted?

Paul.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7...-overflow.html

From: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7...increment.html
    When the column reaches the upper limit of the data type, the next attempt to generate a sequence number fails.
    Last edited by Weedpacket; 07-17-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

My suggestion is to figure out what the maximum value might be (whether that is a best case or worst case?) and plan accordingly. Saving a few bytes on the disk and possibly a couple microseconds' worth of data transfer time may not be worth the hassle of a program crash in the future.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

In that case.

To avoid my code from failing to work correctly, I would probably be best choosing the standard INT data type,,, rather than SMALLINT,, or MEDIUM INT,,, etc.. ??

Here's the max sizes, both for signed and unsigned integer types: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7...ger-types.html

One table I use at work (with ~16 million rows) would actually overflow for the signed medium integer maximum, but would be okay with unsigned.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Thread Information