Thread: 1945

So I'm in work and I see a hand written letter, I look at the date on it as you can guess it said 1945. I've found a bunch more of them, and pictures too if you lot are interested after I scan them I'll upload them here
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Blog

Six month project

I suppose it depends on what the letter is about. Having spent the first half of my life (perhaps a bit more?) in the time before email, the fact that letter was hand-written is not interesting to me in and of itself.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Well, if they talk much about WW2, hang onto 'em for 27 years and then there will be some interest, I'd bet.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Well one of them seems in the other his wife maybe, it's old fashioned writing and I don't have my glasses to read them, they address is Cornwall somewhere
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Blog

Six month project

They seem interesting, she was a nurse and he was a RAF pilot. Old fashioned writing seem hard to read even with my classes on, I was surprised in 1945 they were writing "xxxx" can you imagine? Seems strange to me, I need to find a scanner to keep all of this stuff
    Blog

Six month project

I think my sister has a letter written by an ancestor ca. 1860. It looks like calligraphy to me: lots of loops and flourishes, and difficult for us who learned to write in the latter half of the 20th century to make heads or tails of.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

It seems interesting, looking back in time how people used to live, I couldn't imagine getting a hand written letter lol
    Blog

Six month project

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    They seem interesting, she was a nurse and he was a RAF pilot. Old fashioned writing seem hard to read even with my classes on, I was surprised in 1945 they were writing "xxxx" can you imagine? Seems strange to me, I need to find a scanner to keep all of this stuff
    Heheh ... if they weren't "xxxx"-ing and "xoxoxo"-ing back in the 20's, 30's, 40's, we wouldn't be here today
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Heheh ... if they weren't "xxxx"-ing and "xoxoxo"-ing back in the 20's, 30's, 40's, we wouldn't be here today
    True I guess
    Blog

Six month project

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Though I think you need to use a few more letters than 'x'and 'o' for that...
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Though I think you need to use a few more letters than 'x'and 'o' for that...
    Nope just xxoo
    Blog

Six month project

Thread Information