[RESOLVED] Folder structures

Thread: [RESOLVED] Folder structures

resolved [RESOLVED] Folder structures

I am almost 100% sure I'm over thinking this but I started to make something however I'm almost positive I'm over thinking it (not that I have ever done that before ) Basically I'm thinking the structure should roughly be:

PHP Code:
    -Main folder 
    Index
    .php
    -Assets folder 

-JS folder

-CSS folder

-Images folder 
    -Classes folder 
    -pages folder (main content will go here
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17
    Finish date "should be" 14/04/18

Vote on your preferred indentation method

Where is your Tests directory?

Assuming everything goes through the index.php file, you might want a .htaccess config to force that, with an exception for the Assets folder, whose contents you'll want to access directly, most likely. Here's what I used for my cwrblog code (in which I used essentially a MVC-style directory structure):
    Code:
    DirectoryIndex index.php
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteRule ^favicon static/favicon.ico
        RewriteRule !^static index.php
    </IfModule>
    ErrorDocument 404 /static/404.html
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Tests directory? erm it's ... on holiday (i'll add one)

This is what I had done so far, going to look how you set yours up, some of it's a bit ummm but can but try

https://github.com/cluelessphp/structure
    Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses ― Terry Pratchett, Thud
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17

Just throwing this out there, but assets of different types can already be distinguished by their file extension, yes? Does putting them in separate directories as well add anything?
    THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
    FAQs! FAQs! FAQs! Most forums have them!
    Search - Debugging 101 - Collected Solutions - General Guidelines - Getting help at all

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but assets of different types can already be distinguished by their file extension, yes? Does putting them in separate directories as well add anything?
    Mostly it was to try and keep it tidy

After this disaster I'm trying to keep everything more organized

https://github.com/cluelessphp/wot
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpacket View Post
    Functionally, no; but if you have more than a few files in each category, it's generally easier to find the file you want in your editor/ide if you can just go to the js|css|img|whatever directory. Now, if we used file prefixes instead of suffixes....
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog

Settled 4 red convertible dalecosp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Functionally, no; but if you have more than a few files in each category, it's generally easier to find the file you want in your editor/ide if you can just go to the js|css|img|whatever directory. Now, if we used file prefixes instead of suffixes....
    Yes, but perhaps he's talking about the "assets" directory, which seems superfluous; Why $root/assets/js or $root/assets/css when you could use $root/js or $root/css?
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by dalecosp View Post
    Yes, but perhaps he's talking about the "assets" directory, which seems superfluous; Why $root/assets/js or $root/assets/css when you could use $root/js or $root/css?
    Eh...I kind of like it, personally; sort of like a /lib/ directory for all your 3rd-party packages.

Ultimately, as long as it's clear, consistent, and supports any auto-loading stuff you want to do...whatever.

My Blog

Eh...I kind of like it, personally; sort of like a /lib/ directory for all your 3rd-party packages.

Ultimately, as long as it's clear, consistent, and supports any auto-loading stuff you want to do...whatever.
    That was what I was thinking, originally I'd called it "thingys" but that seemed a little...let's go with vague
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17

I can understand it a little more if it's 3rd party. Of course, I prefer to write all that stuff myself if I'm concerned about security and the like, but then again you'll find plenty of other people's JS in my projects ... so ...
    Last edited by dalecosp; 10-11-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    /!!\ mysql_ is deprecated --- don't use it! Tell your hosting company you will switch if they don't upgrade! /!!!\ ereg() is deprecated --- don't use it!

dalecosp "God doesn't play dice." --- Einstein "Perl is hardly a paragon of beautiful syntax." --- Weedpacket

Getting Help at All --- Collected Solutions to Common Problems --- Debugging 101 --- Unanswered Posts --- OMBE: Office Machines, Business Equipment

Besides, don't think of it as a directory, but as a file name prefix with a slash delimiter.

Or maybe as a namespace?

My Blog

I can understand it a little more if it's 3rd party. Of course, I prefer to write all that stuff myself if I'm concerned about security and the like, but then again you'll find plenty of other people's JS in my projects ... so ...
    Well the idea I have involves a lot of address, would you really want to sit and manually type in every address there is?
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17

Quote Originally Posted by cluelessPHP View Post
    Well the idea I have involves a lot of address, would you really want to sit and manually type in every address there is?
    Oh, I'd love to, but right now I'm really tied up typing up all the titles, prices, descriptions, etc. for the 150K products on our site. And after that I have to draw the pictures, so I'm busy at least until the week after I die ...

Oh, I'd love to, but right now I'm really tied up typing up all the titles, prices, descriptions, etc. for the 150K products on our site. And after that I have to draw the pictures, so I'm busy at least until the week after I die ...
    Looks like someone didn't read the small print of his contract, death is prohibited until project is complete
    Fresh start
    Current date 14/10/17

Thread Information